1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Hickey (hickeystyle.com)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blank, Jul 4, 2007.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

the lead designer just left the company, and the nyc store was just suddenly shut down this week. don't think the brand is doing so well (not surprised with the ridiculous retail pricing of the clothes). thechoosybeggar.com says there will be a sample sale soon with 80% off stuff.

They have sample sales periodically. I've been to ones at their design HQ up by the Plaza, and at that sale place on 36th and 8th.

The store closure may have to do with decisions made by the buyer of the bankrupt Hartmarx, which is the parent company of Hickey-Freeman.

2. Dewey

Dewey Well-Known Member

Dewey, Can you confirm the leg opening is 7" exactly? I emailed them about week ago for measurements on there chinos, but no reply. Thanks!!
    On the 33" beat chino, S/S 2008 version, 7.5" at the hem. 10.5" rise, 35" across the waist.
    the chinos are nothing great IMO. fabric seems tacky and cheap, and the vanity sizing is absurd
    I'm a 33" in HF dress trousers. That's my "true size." I'd say these are TTS @ 35" across the waist because you don't wear them at the waist, but on the hips. And they are not supposed to be real snug on the hips. I wear a 32 in 501s. A 32" in these chinos would be too small.
    Yeah, it seemed to me that the material looked a little cheap. The only reason why I was considering them is because they offer Size 26. Are they vanity sized and not true waist sizes? In the end, one can usually find incos for about half the price of Hickeys chinos, although I usually become impatient trying to find Size 28 Incos in B&S.
    I would not call the material cheap, not as chinos go. Cheap chinos have a non-iron finish. The HF & hicky chino fabric is lightweight w/ no finish. It's not going to last forever, but it shouldn't. I use them as summer pants.
    I've bought 2 pairs of chinos in a 32 and they both measurement 34+ in the waist... nuts.
    Unles your hips are the same width as your waist, sounds like the tag is right to me. As price goes, I paid $60 for my two pair of hickey chinos and under $40 for the HF chinos w/ the same material & different cut. These HF "italian" chinos were still on STP last I checked. I would not size down w/ them if anyone is thinking about getting them.

3. MiniW

MiniW Well-Known Member

just browsing the website and they had a blackwatch plaid toggle raincoat that looked real interesting.

4. Kent Money

Kent Money Well-Known Member

just ordered this in a size large

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...J87WD1FCW2BPB8

however, I wear relatively slim jeans and based on some posts above, it seems like it may be a bit large? I am ~6'1 and 195lbs (more muscular than fat)

will large be ok? or medium?

Best,
    Kent

5. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

the lead designer just left the company, and the nyc store was just suddenly shut down this week. don't think the brand is doing so well (not surprised with the ridiculous retail pricing of the clothes). thechoosybeggar.com says there will be a sample sale soon with 80% off stuff.

Bummer. I think they make some great items. Pricing is a little bonkers, but so are a lot of lines.

6. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

just ordered this in a size large

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...J87WD1FCW2BPB8

however, I wear relatively slim jeans and based on some posts above, it seems like it may be a bit large? I am ~6'1 and 195lbs (more muscular than fat)

will large be ok? or medium?

Best,
    Kent

FWIW I am a M in hickey, but find the shoulders/neck too small on the shirts. I think we are th esame size

7. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Well-Known Member

just browsing the website and they had a blackwatch plaid toggle raincoat that looked real interesting.

I've got that jacket, its pretty nice. Made in Italy, nice detailing and finish, removable hood and quilted vest. Its unlined though, so its not a dead of winter type coat which would have been better.

[​IMG]

8. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Well-Known Member

Very nice PP, that coat is beautiful.

9. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Well-Known Member

I wore my hickey oxford again today and when i was bored i looked down and was pleasantly surprised to see the word "hickey" embossed into the button. I tried to take pics but it didn't show.

10. ss10guy3

ss10guy3 Well-Known Member

I think the employees were taken by surprise when the store shut down. I was talking to on them on the phone about two weeks ago, and she said they were expecting a bunch of new stuff soon. Phone number is dead though, so I don't doubt it.

11. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Damn, I read in another thread that the mainline Hickey Freeman store in New York had been shut down.

I was worried that the hickey store would be closed too, and now I have confirmation.

What a shame, I was in the store in July and was planning on coming back for more stuff soon.

Is the entire brand being scrapped? It sure seems like the brand could be headed in that direction, since that Levine guy jumped ship to Rogue's Gallery.

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I bought a grey gingham in L. le'ts hope it works

13. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I bought a grey gingham in L. le'ts hope it works

I wear L in hickey. I thought you were smaller/slimmer than me

14. PinkPantser

30% sale items through Sept 7th, code SAVINGS Couple of nice jackets on sale too [​IMG]

15. Kent Money

Kent Money Well-Known Member

PP, you seem to be a pretty big hickey advocate. and I think I can see why. Modern cuts, fabrics, and decent prices (when on sale).

Just ordered the cream ss henly and the navy jersey longsleeve polo. retro baby!

I did, howver, receive my this today. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I wish the collar buttons were black! But the fabric seems pretty good; pretty thick cotton.

lookin forward to my next shipment.

PS. Teger, the large is definitely the right size for me. The hem is a bit long, though.

16. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

I wear L in hickey. I thought you were smaller/slimmer than me

a M fits in the chest/waist but is too tight in the shoulders/neck. I have a big neck/large shoulders for my chest size, so I will end up getting it tailored or just wear it loose.

17. PinkPantser

PP, you seem to be a pretty big hickey advocate. and I think I can see why.
    I've had good and bad experiences. Good - suit, oxford cloth pants, blackwatch duffle, oxford cloth shirt, thin summer shirt, nice lightweight chambray shirt Bad - Boots, Sweater, coated belstaff style jacket that fit horribly and stunk, pair of really great grey cords that came with a 30" inseam off the rack no matter what size you bought and made no mention of that fact in the description They have a tendency to either get it right or horribly wrong.

18. wmmk

wmmk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the discount code, PP. Just picked up an Aran sweater. It looks pretty great.

19. PinkPantser

no problem wmmk, which color did you get? I remember really liking this when they first put it up. Would have probably bought it then if it was as cheap as it is now ($250). [​IMG] edit: if it wasn't for the elbows i'd be all over it. Could probably remove, but not worth the risk.

20. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

The Hickey brand is doing fine and is going forward. The store was closed because of issues with the rent after they filed bankruptcy they were forced to give up expensive leases.