1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on G- Star?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Corniche, Nov 19, 2009.

1. hnlax

hnlax Senior member

Traffic? Yeah, OP probably works there.

I could have sworn there was a replay, either under pinkberry or next to it.

The sign is a really cheap light up one. Never give the store any time of day-it looks really crappola

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

there's a Replay store upstairs across from Banana Republic on the Macy's side. IIRC it's a british denim brand (?), been around a long time

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

there's a Replay store upstairs across from Banana Republic on the Macy's side. IIRC it's a british denim brand (?), been around a long time
    Is it sad that you know the layout of the Bev Center so well? Survey says...: Yes.

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Is it sad that you know the layout of the Bev Center so well?

i need to be fully aware of all my surroundings, so I dont get ambushed

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

Guess prison really taught you a lesson.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Guess prison really taught you a lesson.

one time I was ambushed at guitar center and found myself in a headlock from someone who wanted a piece of my hide

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

one time I was ambushed at guitar center and found myself in a headlock from someone who wanted a piece of my hide
    Is that the real story about your Rick that fell off the back of a truck?

8. jwied82

jwied82 Senior member

a friend of mine wears g-star all the time, and it always looks pretty good, especially the outerwear... and some of it doesnt really have a whole lot of obvious branding on it, so i think they are toning that down now. He has a jacket from the "correct line" and i think the only logo it has is on the hardware.

9. hnlax

hnlax Senior member

Is it sad that you know the layout of the Bev Center so well?

Survey says...: Yes.

I've been there four times. Pinkberry is serious biz

10. svelten

svelten Senior member

I was under the impression that their denim is actually quite good and their logo-free (or at most, subtle/minimal corporate embroidery) jackets are decent and at least worth considering.

I'm no apologist for serious douchewear, but G-star is one where I make an exception to. They are, after all, a business, so I'll excuse them for selling hordes of tacky garbage (the logo t-shirt, logo hoodie, etc) to fund their decent pieces. I apply the same line of thinking to designers such as J. Lindeberg.

Really can't stand the name though... G-STAR... it seems to fit the profile of some rather undesirable persons.

11. Rye GB

Rye GB Senior member

I thought Replay was Italian?

As for G-Star:
    Great concept
    Over designed denim
    Great outerwear ruined by excessive branding
    Decent shirts
    Awful tee's
    Will never be as big as Diesel, concept is too constrictive for continued growth, unless they figure out how to shoe horn the concept into other themes (Western, Surf, Punk etc... ) like diesel.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I thought Replay was Italian?

yea I think you're right. probably thought it was British because it was really big in London for a while.

13. obnavox3

obnavox3 Senior member

I have a dark navy lambswool sweater hoodie from G-Star. It fits well and the only branding is a G-Star logo on the front right breast but it is is in black and the jacket is dark navy so it is not noticeable at all. Some of their stuff is pretty gawdy but at the right price, it's a better deal than a lot of mall brands.

14. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Saw a bunch of G-Star stuff today, looked good and wasn't badly priced. Too bad their fucking logos were everywhere.

15. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

So true... Most items in stores from G-star are good to even maybe better... Above decent. But always that brand nameso big on evey piece of garment. Makes me puke.

16. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

The stitched-on stuff can easily be removed..

17. Mistral

Mistral Senior member

So true... But I don't buy clothes if I first have to alter them at several places. It should be fine otherwise I won't buy it. If I want threads and needles in my hand, I just could make clothing myself instead of spending money on garments I need to alter.

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

The stitched-on stuff can easily be removed..

A lot of it is printed on.

19. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

The clothing which has the obnoxious lettering is a lost cause but it is silly to turn away something which fits all your criteria because you don't want to alter the piece, especially when you can do so without paying money. Ideally, clothing should be purchased without any compromise or alteration but that's often not very practical or affordable. Take a look at how often people buy expensive oxfords and make trips to the tailor to augment the fit just a tad. Do you not anticipate altering jeans with huge inseams, or suit separates? And making your own clothing is definitely not a substitute for removing one or more stitched-on logos.

20. czjl

czjl Senior member

I definitely found a few good pieces that have a minimalistic look without print. Just a few labels of small size. For the outerwear at least I have to say that I really like the slim cut throughout.