thoughts on flip flops? how old are you?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dropout5, Mar 13, 2010.

1. dropout5

dropout5 Senior member

i know this has been discussed at length here, but i don't believe there have been any recent threads. most of the forum members seem to have a dislike of flip flops. i am curious to get some chatter going and see if this is a generational thing. would love to read some thoughts on flip flops and please post your age with your comments, location would be interesting as well. for what it's worth, i wear them in the summer in casual settings (other than the beach). i have brown leather rainbows and black leather reefs. i am 28 yrs old and live in new york.

2. paegk

paegk Active Member

I am 30 yrs old and live in the Pacific Northwest and I break out the flip flops every summer.

3. aleeboy

aleeboy Senior member

I'm 28 and I wear flip-flops when I'm going to the pool / beach in summer.

I live in a tropical climate and I don't wear flip-flops when I'm out, unless I am going downstairs to buy some coffee.

4. Lendial

Lendial Well-Known Member

I'm 21, I live in Washington and any chance to wear flip flops is taken.

5. eMacPaul

eMacPaul Senior member

24, socal, wear flip flops in the summer when I'm wearing shorts.

6. dbc

dbc Senior member

In Singapore, flipflops are (unfortunately) everywhere.

There is however, a difference between a nicely designed pair and a plastic pair clumped together.

7. Leverandon

Leverandon Senior member

24...Originally from San Diego, now living in New Orleans. I have a pair of brown, leather rainbows that I love. There's a time and a place for flip-flops and that time and place usually is the beach and the pool. I wouldn't be opposed to tossing them on for when I walk the dog in the morning or am bumming around the house, but they generally are not acceptable for going anywhere else, in my opinion.

8. donCarlos

donCarlos Well-Known Member

21, Czech Republic. I would never wear that thing, since it looks silly and is no good for walking longer distances. (Which is not prevailing opinion around here)

9. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

29, Australian, every day (after work - walking to beach).

10. Monaco

Monaco Senior member

23, Southern California, it is pretty much part of the culture here to wear flip flops, I used to do it a lot but now I'm more into wearing shoes, I feel wearing flip flops is an excuse for a lot of guys and girls to make excuses not to wear shoes. I love the practicality of them being able to just slip off and on at a whim, my feet are prone to sweating so flip flops also made a lot of sense for me that way. My alternative medicine doctor told me that I have certain knee issues because of the way I walk in flip flops.

11. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

20, and i hate them. I don't think i've ever owned a pair. I have a private beach both at my house and our summer house, so i just go barefoot. Would probably do the same at a public beach.

12. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

would love to read some thoughts on flip flops and please post your age with your comments, location would be interesting as well.

SF nadir.

13. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

Flip flops are for the beach/pool/gym/shower, not for walking. Wear sandals that cover your toes for walking.
    [​IMG]

14. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

I have worn flip flops approximately one time in the past three years. I am repulsed by the concept of bare man feet anywhere where you would be expected to wear a shirt.

15. alamode

alamode Member

I wear thongs (Aussie term for flip-flops) ALOT. It's just Australian culture to wear these. It's very popular in SE Asia as well. I'd say it comes down to the affordability as well as the comfort it provides.