• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Filson Mackinaw Wool Vests

korce

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a Filson mackinaw wool vest to keep me warm under my (charcoal) mackinaw wool cruiser jacket, and wanted to see what SF thinks of the vests. Not as sweet as the grey shawl collar EG vest from this fall, but I kind of like them for about half the price ($80 or so with discount from Krane's).

Thinking about getting the forest green (which is more green irl than the browner color of the pic):

pFILSON1-2230602p275w.jpg

Or gray (but my winter wardrobe seems to have an awful lot of grey and black at this point):

pFILSON1-2230620p275w.jpg

Or maybe gray multi plaid:

pFILSON1-3898169p275w.jpg

What does SF think, too old man-ish for my 23 years?

Also, with a vest like this would one leave the bottom button undone, or is it acceptable to wear all buttons done up?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the black/charcoal plaid one, and really like it. Outstanding quality, and a nice fit. Id really like a green/brown or grey one myself, since the black sometimes feel abit oppressive. only pic I could find:
Ilona265.jpg
and here worn on top of a raw denim jacket
bean2.jpg

korce

Reaction score
^did you size up to wear it as more of an outerwear piece, or is that TTS (ie suit size) superbobo? I know that Filson sizing is relatively generous so I was gonna get a sz.36, though my chest measurement is actually 37"

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ TTS/suit, but its definitly generous in size. I could have sized down one, but dont know how it effects the length, but on the other hand it doesnt feel too big to be worn just over a shirt either. From J-suplex, a nice use of the color pop in a rather "dressy" outfit.
a-model-up-1.jpg
another
b-eg-ccl-jkt-model-up-1.jpg

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce

What does SF think, too old man-ish for my 23 years?

Also, with a vest like this would one leave the bottom button undone, or is it acceptable to wear all buttons done up?

I really dont see why it would be that old man-ish, especially if you already have a mackinaw jacket.
I usually wear it with the bottom button undone, since its less restrictive when sitting down...

wiru

Reaction score
You can search rakuten to find exact chest measurements.

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakfasteatre
the heathered grey is real nice

Yea, I have the option of getting that color locally for around $100 CAD (cheaper than buying from Krane's after shipping and currency conversion). I almost grabbed it yesterday but really like the green one (which they didn't have in my size). Probably doesn't help that I already have a black vest in a similar style, and too much grey and black overall in my wardrobe. It's pretty tempting to go back and kop it though.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
My father wears them all the time. I've never heard a complaint about quality.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Yea, I have the option of getting that color locally for around $100 CAD (cheaper than buying from Krane's after shipping and currency conversion). I almost grabbed it yesterday but really like the green one (which they didn't have in my size). Probably doesn't help that I already have a black vest in a similar style, and too much grey and black overall in my wardrobe. It's pretty tempting to go back and kop it though.

Hey where in Toronto did you see em? I think they look pretty cool. I'm not sure if I would fit even in a 36 which sucks

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I mean a 36 would be too big

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. Well you could always get it tailored down, vests are pretty easily put together...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads