• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Different Color Buttonholes in Shirts

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on having different color bottonholes on shirts...

for example:

a purple dress shirt with white buttonholes and MOP buttons? Is it better to have the white buttonholes when doing a white collar and white cuff?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have 1 or 2 shirts like that. They can look nice. Just don't over do it. I sometimes wear the shirt under a suit(sans tie) on a Friday....

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i amend my statement...not on a purple shirt. on a white shirt..

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can very easily scream 'douche', should probably be reserved for 'club' shirts and not those that are to be worn during the day.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Eh...tread lightly...I have a pink MTM shirt that I have with light blue buttonholes...but I always wear it with a tie so its almost never seen. Im not sure if Id get one again..I think one is probably more than enough

I wear it, it was a hell of a good price, and the shirt is great. Probably not my first choice but I have 4-5 shirts in the same color anyway.

tjcam

Reaction score
Not a big fan. I had a couple of shirts that had this feature, but ended up selling them as I decided they made it look like I was trying to hard to stand out.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that one or two such shirts could be nice for a change. Depends on the colours, though. And yes, it is risky: what someone said above about how you may look at the shirt after some years may be true.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
White thread on a pattern with white in it, or a very light solid may be okay, but anything else? No.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
in three years you will look at the shirt, put it back in the closet and say, "why did I put this weird color button hole on my shirt"

Im already thinking that. hahahaha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads