• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Chinos

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
What do you all think about Chinos? Somewhere in my style training years ago, I pretty much swore them off when they were a sea of ill fitting cuffs and pleats.

I wear Jeans or dress pants/suit pants, mostly jeans all the time.

I do have several pairs (khaki, navy and charcoal variations) of very well slim fitting, flat front, little to no break Chinos, but never really find occasion to wear them. Not sure why. Always opt for Jeans or dress pants.

Is my Chino aversion rare or common among my brothers here?

dapperguy80

Reaction score
I used to settle with jeans every casual Friday, but after reading through some articles about "Business Casual" which I thought should be worn on Fridays, I have settled for Chinos. I always combine with a double monk strap or tassel loafers without socks during summer.
Add a Navy Blazer and probably a knitted tie and you'll be good to go, office appropriate and post-work drinks ready.

Chinos with loafers are no different with boat shoes and jeans, only smarter I guess.

c0de

Reaction score
I've completely replaced jeans in my wardrobe with Chinos. Easier to wear, more comfortable, and looks more put together.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For casual wear, I've re-introduced a couple pair of chinos, but I'm still heavily reliant upon jeans. Jeans are, to me, more versatile. They dress down easily to wear with a tee-shirt or can dress up to wear with sport shirt and everything in between. They also look better, IMO, than chinos with some of my favorite boots (Whites semi-dress and Alden Indy's)
Chinos are, IMO, firmly in the button-down shirt and/or sweater realm. Which is fine. I don't ever envision the day where my jeans are replaced by chinos. But, I certainly can't find fault with people that prefer chinos. Both are valid choices. I'm just trying to suggest you aren't alone in your love for jeans over chinos.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
For casual wear, I've re-introduced a couple pair of chinos, but I'm still heavily reliant upon jeans. Jeans are, to me, more versatile. They dress down easily to wear with a tee-shirt or can dress up to wear with sport shirt and everything in between. They also look better, IMO, than chinos with some of my favorite boots (Whites semi-dress and Alden Indy's)
Chinos are, IMO, firmly in the button-down shirt and/or sweater realm. Which is fine. I don't ever envision the day where my jeans are replaced by chinos. But, I certainly can't find fault with people that prefer chinos. Both are valid choices. I'm just trying to suggest you aren't alone in your love for jeans over chinos.
Yes, I do love denim. I can’t say that I will ever feel the same about some Chinos. I do agree with the above that jeans are more versatile (I wear them with sport coats almost daily) but I also agree that there is just something a little more put together about a man wearing chinos. Thanks for the feedback guys.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Don’t think I’ve had on a pair of jeans in 2 years

Chouan

Reaction score
Strictly a weather issue for me. If it’s hot and sunny, thinner cotton is just much more comfortable than denim.
Indeed. I wear chinos to work in hot weather, rather than wool, but I wouldn't/couldn't wear jeans to work in any weather!

LLEE

Reaction score
I do not enjoy chinos in the slightest.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are chinos and then chinos. The Dockers look is to be avoided but some chinos (or khakis as we always called them in New England) won’t make you look like you work at a mall kiosk.

First, you want all cotton. No poly blends. Second, get something in a heavy weight that recalls the military khakis of WWII. Bill’s Khakis, made in Pennsylvania, offer some good trad styles in heavy fabric but the company was recently bought by a hedge fund which is never a good sign.

For a more updated and slimmer look, I like the chinos made by the Italian company Incotex. (They have 2-3 percent stretchy fabric which is fine, they feel and look like all cotton.) Not cheap though.

If you live in or travel to hot climates, chinos are a better daily trouser than jeans which are heavy to pack, slow to dry, and steamy to wear. I love my raw denim but in ten years of traveling to equatorial Africa on work I have never brought jeans, and never missed them.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I find I like chinos better than jeans in every way except one. The one advantage jeans have over chinos is that, while chinos are versatile and can be dressed up or down, jeans are strictly casual, and can force a look down. If you want to actively dress a look down, jeans do that, whereas chinos fit into the rest.

Also, I think chinos get a bad rap because khakis just aren't particularly good looking, but good chinos in navy or charcoal are great.

They're more comfortable than jeans, but sturdier than dress pants, and can be worn in *most* of the same situations as either one. I love 'em.

Keach

Reaction score
Chinos work great for a lot of styles and combinations

smilence

Reaction score
my biggest problem with chinos are that they can look dirty and wrinkled so easily, even after a day's wear indoor. And they fade..And I'm talking about high qualities ones here.

Pete E

Reaction score
my biggest problem with chinos are that they can look dirty and wrinkled so easily, even after a day's wear indoor. And they fade..And I'm talking about high qualities ones here.

I find the same and especially hate the way chino's seem to crease so easily. Even after say just a 30minute car ride that start to look like you've slept in them.

If anyone has any suggestions how to avoid this, I'd be very interested to hear them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads