• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Body For Life Program?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the story. I've almost always been overweight, since I was little. About 5 years ago I decided to do something about it and started the Body For Life program (not the contest and crap, I just followed the workout and eating plan) for a year or so and I dropped 90lbs (went from 275 to 185). Unfortunately after that I got divorced which threw my life into a bit of a tailspin and I slowly gained most of that back. I'm currently sitting at about 260 and am finally ready to do something about it again. I'm thinking of using the same procedure this time since it worked once, but I thought I would see if there was anything wrong with it that could be slowing me down or holding me back. It worked great once, but that doesn't mean there aren't better options.

Basically, the program consists of a 6 day workout schedule. You alternate between cardio and weight training. For cardio you do a 20 minute set of intervals. I like it because it's quick and efficient. I was always pretty cooked at the end of the 20 minutes. For weight training you alternate between upper body and lower body, and you get progressively harder set by set for each exercise (sort of like interval weight training).

The eating plan is basically a 6 day plan (coincides with the 6 days or working out) where you eat one serving of carbs and one serving of protein at each meal.

Then there is the seventh day.....rest day and free day. No workout and eat whatever you want. The theory espoused is that one day of overeating helps to keep your metabolism from adapting to the days with lower caloric intake, and thereby helps in the long run. The first time I did this program I took major advantage of the free days and usually ate like absolute ****. The benefit that I know existed is that after that, I wanted to eat well for the next six days because I always felt bad on day seven. Also, if you really crave something you can always make it to that free day so it helps keep on track during the other 6 days.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc? Right now I'm planning on continuing the program, but scaling back the free day to something reasonably indulgent rather then excessive.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It sounds fine. If it worked before, it will likely work again, and you were obviously able to stick to it before. If you're happy with the results then don't mess with it!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
It sounds fine. If it worked before, it will likely work again, and you were obviously able to stick to it before. If you're happy with the results then don't mess with it!

+1. If it ain't broken...

maacone

Reaction score
I don't know about that program. It doesn't seem like something you can use long-term given the intensity.

I lost about fifty pounds over the last year and have still kept it off. I started doing more weights in the morning about two-three times a week. The real difference-maker was diet though. I cut out all processed foods and desserts and severely cut down consumption of flour, pasta and rice. Limiting the carbs and substituting fruit really cut down on any desire for sweet junk food and I didn't feel the need for any binge days. I eat all the meat and vegetables I feel like, but my appetite is about half of what it used to be.

I'm not sure how beneficial exercise is. The endorphins were great but I wound up consuming bigger portions every day I exercised.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Losing weight through diet is great if your goal is to become skinny fat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maacone
I'm not sure how beneficial exercise is. The endorphins were great but I wound up consuming bigger portions every day I exercised.

Is this guy for real?
frown.gif

maacone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Losing weight through diet is great if your goal is to become skinny fat.

To clarify, I developed significant muscle mass from the weights. Obviously that had a knock-on effect in raising metabolism and burning fat. Judging from how fast weight loss progressed, plateaued or reversed on a weekly basis, diet seemed a lot more critical as opposed to the number, timing, nature and intensity of workout sessions.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've followed this before. I do recommend it.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maacone
To clarify, I developed significant muscle mass from the weights. Obviously that had a knock-on effect in raising metabolism and burning fat. Judging from how fast weight loss progressed, plateaued or reversed on a weekly basis, diet seemed a lot more critical as opposed to the number, timing, nature and intensity of workout sessions.

Were you going by your weight on a scale or a body fat analysis method? Saying that your weight loss progressed or plateaued because you ate more around your workouts ignores the overall body composition. (You're right, diet is the key really, but you should eat more around intense workouts and not be fooled by a number on a scale.)

adversity04

Reaction score
What does intensity have to do with the longetivity of following a program? You can go intense for a few weeks and then take a week at half intensity to recover.....

bowlhead99

Reaction score
I've had some success with Body For Life too.

Based on every individual's own body, everyone could probably find something a bit more perfect for themselves, by experimenting with exercise and nutrition. But if you're not doing anything much in the way of good diet and exercise, it would be difficult not to improve your body on this program and it worked before for you so like the others said, it'll work again.

After I lost some weight last year people asked me what I was doing. If I thought they'd be remotely interested in it themselves, I mentioned the basics of BFL. If not, I just told them it was good ol' fashioned "eating healthy and exercising more".

Basically on this program you:
- do exercises to build up muscles and raise metabolism
- do exercises to burn calories and get your heart & lungs working
- alternate the above and take a day off each week so you don't overtrain
- eat a sensible amount of carbs to give you energy to do the above
- eat more protein to support your muscles
- eat less fat so you don't get fat
- make generally healthier food choices (more low GI carbs, less processed crap and no junk food except maybe once in a week of healthy eating)
- eat more frequently so you're not hungry but smaller meals rather than 2-3 pig outs

OK so the program has a name and a brand and support groups and competitions and whatever, but the above is a pretty obvious way to get you down from 260 to a healthy 200lbs without taking the silly route of starvation diets.

THEN - Once you get to <200lbs and are happier with your weight/body/health

- You don't need to exercise 6x a week to stay in a reasonable shape, and if you're not trying to pack on more muscles you don't need to eat 200g of protein a day, and you probably won't still be making 6 meals a day for the rest of your life because it's easier to eat when everyone else does and just have a few snacks in between.

- If you do want to keep going and get lighter to see your 6pack or to get more muscular and look like the Hulk, shake up your workout routines a bit, and look to tweak your diet.

A lot of people on the BFL forums have also read Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. BFFM is less of a 'one size fits all' attitude than BFL but the same sort of concepts. Maybe look at it a few months down the line.

Another idea from BFL forums - you can probably lose fat quicker if you add in more cardio but 6 hard workouts a week is enough if you're not trying to win a 12 week EAS challenge. For the moment just keep up the good work you're doing.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone, I think I'll probably just stick with it.

bowlhead99- Thanks for recomending the BFFM, I'll check that out sometime. Like you I look at BFL as more of just a good old fashioned healthy diet and exercise program that is packaged more like a fad diet. Once you learn about it, I really didn't see anything unusual about the program, it just spells everything out for you so anyone can understand and follow it. I also told people about it because I've always felt it was pretty safe since you're not getting rid of any certain type of food...your just making sensible selections.

Anyway, thanks again.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did Body for Life off and on for a couple of years. I think it's a teriffic program, and I'm sure I'll cycle back into it from time to time in the future.

TheRealAshland

Reaction score
I can suggest somthing thats fool proof that you have to have an open mind to try..its hard at first but has fast and constant results and no need for exercise. its the raw food diet. you only eat raw veggies and various fruits , no junk food no MEATS nothing that came from animals eggs milk etc no breads no nothing.. try browsing www.rawfoodtalk.com

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRealAshland
I can suggest somthing thats fool proof that you have to have an open mind to try..its hard at first but has fast and constant results and no need for exercise.

its the raw food diet.

you only eat raw veggies and various fruits , no junk food no MEATS nothing that came from animals eggs milk etc no breads no nothing.. try browsing
www.rawfoodtalk.com

Even better way to become skinny fat!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads