• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on Bally Oxfords

Enfant

Reaction score
Wondering what folks here think of this pair of Bally Gabriel Oxford. I have seen it in person; love its minimal look and super-lightness. Fits my wide feet better than most sharp toes shoes these days. Looks well-crafted but don't see any stitching anywhere. Between the upper and the sole is a leather strip that goes round the shoe instead of the usual stitching. It has rubber soles; no traction groves on the sole at all; just some slight circular imprint.

Don't like: the soles for everyday wear and not plain office carpet strolling; and of course, the price!

flashkobalt

Reaction score
Not really a fan of those, but I thought I'd share my one Bally experience...

This may get me me shot, but I bought a pair of Bally oxfords on ebay a few months ago (because they were grey in colour which I thought was cool), and I must say, I do quite enjoy them. Last is a more rounded and pointy (if that makes sense) toe, and the leather quality seems decent, but not spectacular. Still, as beaters that stand out a little from the crowd at the price I paid ($30) I'm happy
smile.gif

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find scribes to be rather ill:

img0004si0.jpg

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if you think about it its a derby ... Not exactly scribe level. But I have 5-6pairs from Bally that i like. But the one you showed does not do anything for me

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Looks like a good conservative business shoe. I've had a pair of Bally's since the 80's. Years ago they started looking a little run down and I sent them back to the company for a refurbishment. They came back looking great and I still have them in my rotation.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A relatively poorly constructed shoe. That particular model strikes me as quite inelegant. I do not see it working as a conservative dress shoe at all (I say this knowing full well that 98%-99% of the population think square toed monstrosities are perfectly suitable office wear)..

Enfant

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. How is it poorly constructed? Won't like it if the sole breaks off after a year...

Star

Reaction score
So whats wrong with Bally shoes?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with the lower end Bally shoes is that they are glue jobs. Consequently, the sole tends to come apart after wear and, unlike with a welted shoe, they cannot be completely refurbished. Also, the sole may separate from the upper. I have also had experience with seams opening and threads coming undone. With my better constructed shoes (A&E, C&J, Martegani, etc.,) this has not been an issue at all. Of course, top of the line Ballys and vintage, pre-taker-over, Ballys tend to be of much better quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads