1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts about shopping on the UK high street?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by EW Paisley, Jun 28, 2016.

1. EW Paisley

EW Paisley New Member

Hi guys

Was hoping to pick your collective brains about some menswear brands in terms of style, quality, what segment/crowd they are aimed. It's partially for work (just joined a fashion-related business), partially also for my own sake. I've been in the UK for less than a year and haven't yet found out what to make of the different brands.

Gant, Topman, TM Lewin (which are everywhere?), M&S, Thomas Pink, Primark -- which ones are any good?

Sorry to ask such an open-ended question, hope I can return the favor some time!

2. Astaroth

Astaroth Well-Known Member

Quality and target market are two seperate questions as those aimed at the higher end of the market dont always sell higher quality goods.

Roughly for quality, in my opinion, they'd be:

Primark, Topman, M&S, TM Lewlin, Gant, Pink

In terms of target

Primark - aimed either at the lower end of the affordability or those who want disposable fashion

Topman - aimed at the 18-24 guys in town with lower to middle income

M&S - broad spectrum but appeal is to older people

TM Lewlin - Generic officewear for lower end middle to lower end upper income

Gant - aimed at a slightly older audience, broader and higher incomed market than Topshop (basically ivy league uni style)

Pink - 30-40 guys with some stretch at each end. Higher income. Image damaged by cost cutting in production and increased presence at discount retailors and so possibly shifting its position

10 minutes of googling would have answered most of this though :)