• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thought I'd share my new silk knit tie photos

guyver00

Reaction score
Thought I would post some photos up on my new tie. It's not cheap, came to $180 CDN, but I just love the colour and texture when I saw it. It's from Nick Bronson, I love how the 4 different colours complement each other (blue, red, orange and brown).

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice tie, but $180 CDN? I'd get at least five knit ties for that price.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Charvet silk knits were expensive at $150 each. But, man are they thick and their colors are especially nice if you need something a bit different than the basics.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just used an online coverter, that is equal to $178 USD. Is the tie really that good? There are a lot of nice colorful silk knits for $75. Paul Stuart has a ton for about $89. Drakes of London are about $135. They are perhaps the most crunchy of all silk knits I've ever worn.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was purchased in Canada you really can't compare. Life is just more expensive here. So prices really can't be compared when talking retail vs. retail.

AB01

Reaction score
Whatever something costs in Canada, that's what you gotta pay. If a retailer wants to add 500% to the wholesale price or even on top of the US MSRP, what can you do? Nothing. Gotta pay or go without.

We only have one alternative and that's shopping while vacationing (so this cannot even apply to vacation cruises, resorts, non-major cities).

You may think ordering online from another country is an option. Customs have often made things more more expensive to buy online at lower than to buy in Canada at the high price.

Basically, we are trapped. Tear down this wall!

LeadSmall3BetAllIN

Reaction score
I thought Charvet silk knits were expensive at $150 each. But, man are they thick and their colors are especially nice if you need something a bit different than the basics.
You know...it's hell for someone who only wears knit ties.

guyver00

Reaction score
The place I live, it's a fashion wasteland here. I knew it was expensive, just look at the price at Harry Rosen or Holt and Renfrew. They can charge whatever they want and get away with it, cause we don't have a lot of selection like our southern cousins. The guy said it's handmade in Italy, so maybe that justified the $$.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
Whatever something costs in Canada, that's what you gotta pay. If a retailer wants to add 500% to the wholesale price or even on top of the US MSRP, what can you do? Nothing. Gotta pay or go without.

If you want to pay less, everyone goes without and the prices come down when they haven't sold anything. Pretty simple concept.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
If you want to pay less, everyone goes without and the prices come down when they haven't sold anything. Pretty simple concept.
The problem is people don't know they're overpaying. There is plenty of money in big Canadian cities (Vancouver, Toronto, etc.) and people are willing to spend it. If they lived in the US they could afford Brioni, but they buy Canali because they live in Canada.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Nice tie, but $180 CDN? I'd get at least five knit ties for that price.

+2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads