• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

those with master's degrees

okayplayer1

Reaction score
hi all

i'm interested in pursuing a masters in public administration (MPA) or urban planning (MUP)...was wondering if anyone here has one and if its worth it. eventually i'd like to get into some type of consulting career.

also, i'll be taking my lsats in december...quick question: is law school worth it? i probably have no shot at a top 20.

broader question: if you have a masters...what did you get it in? what are you doing now? did you need it?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an MA in English

I would be hard pressed to say that I use it in any significant way, but you need a post-grad degree to be taken seriously in many lines of work
confused.gif

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work with many people with MPAs or MPPs. But it's government. I doubt too many of the consultants who do work for the people we regulate have them. But I couldn't tell you for sure. Plus it could just be this field.

We get almost all attorneys through our doors and the consultants' affidavits are usually PhD economists.

How about a joint JD/MPA?

b

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I didn't want to be the first to say it, but as said above, MPA = government employee 9 times out of 10.

As eg1 said, some areas you need a graduate degree, and it really doesn't matter what in.

To your last question, I have two, and I use things I learned in each of them all the time. If you want consulting, get an MBA. Maybe you can find an MPA/MBA program?

the.chikor

Reaction score
I have and MBA. I ended up going to law school. Is it worth it? Well, if you know people who can get you a good job in either field-then yes-definately. IF not, well, I guess it just depends how well off or how satisfied you are in your current state of affairs. If you have a good job already and are happy, why go to law school-unless you just like to torture yourself and inflate your ego after you pass the bar (just joking). Take your time-research the fields that interest you and talk to people in them-you don't want to walk into a hornets nest.

okayplayer1

Reaction score
many schools i've researched say their students have gone on to private consulting firms (ie booz allen...even though booz is heavy on govt work) in your experience is this not true?

jd/mpa sounds like a good idea...i wonder if the mpa would be necessary though. hmm...

so to the above what fields are you in now?

BP348

Reaction score
My local university has a pretty big MPA program. I believe most people who enroll are in Law Enforcement. If I remember right my local police department has a requirement that you have to have a Masters or better to get a Capt. or higher position.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know a JD/MUP who works at a law firm doing real estate/environmental/public law, which is what she wanted to do with it.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As with anything else, the most important thing is getting into a top school. Otherwise it's not worth it. You aren't getting a nice consulting gig with a masters from a **** school.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got an MPA from a top five school, and a VAST majority of the people from my program are in government/nonprofit. My hope is to consult, but it's tough to get into the field without experience. I'm on the market now, and I'm looking at both government and consulting positions. My hope is to find a consulting position, but the more likely scenario is that I take a government job for a bit to get some experience. After a few years I'll probably either look for a job at a consulting firm or start my own.

The above said, there are schools that tend to place in consulting more than others. In fact, the Wilson school at Princeton was sued by the family that manages a major endowment because it was placing too many people in consulting and too few into public service careers.

When you're looking at schools, I would also look at the rankings of their specializations. My MPA program is number four, but my specialization is number two. This is relatively common. There are even a couple of programs that are middling, but that have great specializations. Georgia State University in Atlanta is that way. Their degree program is somewhere around the mid 20s in ranking, but their finance specialization is top five.

Also, make sure you go into the right program for your goals. If you want admin an MPA is great, but if you want planning/policy look at good MUP/MPP schools. There really is a difference. You can get a policy specialization in an MPA, for example, but it's not as thorough as what you'll get in an MPP. I have a friend who got his MPA at my school, but wanted to study policy. He has done quite well for himself, but he noted a few times during his studies that he wished he'd gone to a school that offered an MPP.

One thing to consider when you ask whether it's "worth it" is financial aid. My department was very generous with funding - I was on an assistantship for the duration of my degree. It didn't pay very well, but my tuition was paid. It made a BIG difference in the amount of debt I incurred. I also really enjoyed my assistantship, particularly when I was a TA.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of lobbyists and public affairs consultants have MPPs/MPAs.

Chase Hamilton

Reaction score
I highly second the notion of getting a Master's Degree from a top school. I have an MBA from a good, not great, school. (Drexel University in Philadelphia.)

It has helped me in my career somewhat, but I never became a consultant, which is what I hoped to do when I got the degree.

--Chase

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
As with anything else, the most important thing is getting into a top school. Otherwise it's not worth it. You aren't getting a nice consulting gig with a masters from a **** school.

I have a friend with a MPA degree from a medium standing school. he is now a technical writter for a small corporation, he couldn't find a job in government that paid well enough.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well it's settled then..

Just remembered, I know a girl with a MUP from a ****** school (not sure how it rates, but its a crappy school)

She like sells cars right now or something...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't get an MPP unless I knew that it would open doors to a specific job. I know a guy who got one for this purpose. Firm told him they could bump his salary if he got one or whatever. It worked, because he's making like $250k a year.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads