• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those of you who sell online

nvclothing

Reaction score
do you accept international orders. If so, how do you verify they are legitimate? US orders are easy, but I don't know how to find good information on people in the UK or other countries. I want to be able to sell to them, but I also don't want to get burned on fraudulent orders.

thanks!

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nvclothing
do you accept international orders. If so, how do you verify they are legitimate? US orders are easy, but I don't know how to find good information on people in the UK or other countries. I want to be able to sell to them, but I also don't want to get burned on fraudulent orders.

thanks!

I sell only on ebay, and internationally, I only deal with canada, and occasionally the UK (although I've stopped that). Anytime I'm dealing with an international purchaser, I do some investigating to make sure they seem legit.

discostu004

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
it's not the easiest thing in the world but there are a few sites. i don't have any bookmarked b/c i actually pay someone in Germany to try to verify for me. Usually the netherlands and japan are the two countries i sell to frequently that i really don't worry about it being fraud. good people there!

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ship worldwide except Mexico, Central & South America & Africa. Have had no fraud issues after about 2000 transactions. That said, most of my stuff is not as expensive as Virtual Clothes Horse. Perhaps the true-blue fraudsters don't steal anything small.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't do "business" on the web, but occasionally sell something. I will ship anywhere in the world. I use very sophisticated verification system for international buyers.

You are ready to hear it? Here it is: If I received the money to my checking account from that buyer he is legitimate to me and I will ship the item.
Works every time.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you do , I would suggest ALWAYS using a shipping service that includes insurance. I get a lot of questions and complaints but will only use Global Express with insurance.

I

nvclothing

Reaction score
I thought the insurance just covered lost or damaged product. What about fraud? that is my biggest concern. I have received a few large orders from the UK with suspicious information. I have chosen not to ship them due to their suspicious nature but it would be great if there was a way to identify the buyer as legitimate. Like I said, I think this is easy to accomplish here in the US, but overseas has been very difficult for me.
There are quite a few sarcastic posters on this board I see. I thought this was an ok question to ask on the buy/sell board, no?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 20% of our sales are overseas. For those sales (with rare exceptions for repeat customers) we accept only Paypal. In the countries PayPal functions, there is no firm better at identity verification. Once you've got the money, as long as you can prove shipping, it is yours to keep. We also wait 10 days if we feel the circumstance might be suspicious. Fraud chargebacks, if they are going to come, will normally arrive within that time frame.

nvclothing

Reaction score
I received another large web order for the UK. The shipping address is a couple of blocks away from another order I received. This just seems too fishy. I wish there was a way I could verify SOME part of the information I receive.

mattjames

Reaction score
What are suspicious about the orders? Receiving two orders from addresses in close proximity to one another isn't too suspicious, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads