Those of you who received the Shyam email today.....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by edmorel, May 19, 2006.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damn [​IMG] . Err, I like them both actually. The one on the right looks familiar...

The one on the right is the Rye in birch, I also have that coming but in maple, a slightly darker shade than the birch.

2. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

This is most unfortunate. I'm sorry to learn of this. Good points have been made about the impact of dissemination of information. However, I am less certain the problem here lies with the propagation of this information than it does with the reaction of EG to the information.

I personally believe that a business should honor the commitments of its agents. If EG elected to stop doing business with PLal I believe they should have done so after completing this order, not before.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The one on the right is the Rye in birch, I also have that coming but in maple, a slightly darker shade than the birch.

Wow. That sounds lovely.

4. aportnoy

Wow. That sounds lovely.

Much appreciated. The real credit goes to iammatt. He was the first to order and share these two models and I was so inspired that I basically copied his selections to the letter.

Thanks matt!

5. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Senior member

I'll add my disappointment to what has already been expressed. It sure seems like a raw deal to a reputable dealer.

For some odd reason, I cannot resist the browns that EG puts out. It started with dark oak and I'm moving towards the lighter shades.

6. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

[ strongarming is what the retail business is all about? [​IMG][/quote]

As a retailer, I take great offence to these kind of statements. I have on many occassions since joining the forum observed a lack of regard for what the retailer brings to the table. We assume the position of applying the paint to the canvas, and believe me there is alot of paint out there. But we forge forward and bring collections to to the consumer. As to the economics of retailing, come spend a day with me and I'll show you the bottom line after everything is said and done. We do exist on this forum and only want the respect that we bring to you as providers of ideas, direction and added value.

Best Regards,

Gary

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

[ strongarming is what the retail business is all about? [​IMG]

As a retailer, I take great offence to these kind of statements. I have on many occassions since joining the forum observed a lack of regard for what the retailer brings to the table. We assume the position of applying the paint to the canvas, and believe me there is alot of paint out there. But we forge forward and bring collections to to the consumer. As to the economics of retailing, come spend a day with me and I'll show you the bottom line after everything is said and done. We do exist on this forum and only want the respect that we bring to you as providers of ideas, direction and added value.

Best Regards,

Gary[/quote]

I think the strongarming quote was a joke, also EG is the target here, not the retailer. Many here shop at retailers (online and B&M) and have established great relationships with them. I have also found many threads acknowledging good retailers here, which I know in at least my case, has led to more sales to the retailer. While I have not been here since the beginning, I find your statement to be offbase.

Edit: Gary, the quote was "Public strongarming is not going to win you any customers, which is what the retail business is all about." Winning customers is what the retail business is all about is the meaning that I take from it.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Matt and Andrew - those EGs are gorgeous.

9. aportnoy

I also think this statement is off base. Back in the day, I learned evrything I needed to know about clothing and style from retailers and great sales people.

Tito Vargas at Barneys and Murray Pearlstein of Louis Boston are two that stand out for me. Each took the time to teach and guide, not sell or push and I will always be in their debt for being friends and mentors, not strongarmed salesguys.

10. aportnoy

Matt and Andrew - those EGs are gorgeous.

Thanks Zach...once I saw Matt's phoot it took me all of five minutes to pick up the phone, call Tom Park at leatherSole, Hawaii, and place my orders. Mine are due at the end of June.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

12. aportnoy

Is this slang, like Phat?[​IMG]

Word Eshroom!

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Gary, I agree - I think the "Retailer" with a capital "R" does bring a lot to the table. However, I think that the nature of retail has changed SO dramatically over the past 5-10 years that the nature of the business is changing and some retailers are forced desperately to grip at straws.

This is a digital age, and we live after the internet revolution. Competiton for the consumer is, I believe, stronger than it ever has been before in the history of man.

There is almost nothing stopping anyone from going to a store, trying on a shoe, talking to the salesman for an hour about what television is right for him, trying out the latest gadget, or whatever it may be - and then going online and buying it for cheaper. Nothing. In such cases, that retailer certainly provides an infinitely valuable service. But in this day and age, I think retailers are going to find it increasingly difficult actually to be compensated for that extra value they add. It is sad but true, and it's the name of the game in today's marketplace.

In my humble opinion, just as face-to-face communication in business is becoming increasingly scarce, so too will face-to-face purchasing. I think we are in one of the most major transitional periods that the global economy has ever seen, and I think that's why you see so many issues like the recent Vass debacle and this most recent EG-Shyam conflict. Some retailers seem to be desperately trying to resist the changing times. This may work in the short-term, but I think in the long run, they are fighting a losing battle. The future, I'm afraid to say, simply is not in the brick and mortar store.

ZJ

14. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

1) Yes, that strongarming comment was a joke.

2) zjpj83, right on the money. 10 years ago, I would venture to say that many of the people now on this forum (who were actively buying well-made clothing at the time) had heard of only a fraction of the luxury brands now discussed. Now, those same people have not only heard of the brands, but they have the entire catalog, they know the prices, and they know who sells the good - regardless of where the retailer is located.

This puts huge pressure on the retailer as he/she's not just competing across town any more. A retailer is now up against all sellers in the world, and has to do things to complete globally - no matter his or her size. This idea doesn't really jive with the old-school model of retailing, which often includes geographic borders and a tighter control on information.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

What is next, region controlled shoes? Footwear that can only be worn with socks licensed for a specific region? [​IMG] "Damn it, I have to buy a pair of gray market Region 2 pantherella socks, I want to buy those Region 2 Edward Greens!" Edit: I agree with Alflauren and Zach. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. As a small company you can leverage the internet effectively. Case in point: http://www.redlinegoods.com I just bought from them a shifter boot and handbrake boot. Beautifully constructed, the leather is supple and hardy, great array of leather and stitching colour choices and fast turnaround. The fact that they are located in Poland only makes it more impressive that they have such an extensive customer base for their products worldwide. E.G. as a smaller firm could leverage the internet effectively without going in to Apple-style competing with their own distributors thinking.