• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thongs: how can you wear them?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(On your feet, that is!)

About a month ago, I bought a pair of those Brazilian made PRL flip-flops with the leather sole and grosgrain-covered strap from the Grapevinehill webstore, because the Adidas soccer sandals I had been wearing as house shoes were well past their prime. Since they came in, I've been wearing them for maybe an hour or two a day, strictly at home and never standing for longer than it takes to cook an omelette.

For whatever reason, I decided to wear them to the grocery store today. Bad idea! First, operating the pedals properly in these shoes, especially the clutch, was a nightmare. The back edge kept getting caught as I moved my foot from the dead pedal to the clutch. So my driving was nowhere near as smooth as it usually is. Then I parked where I always do in the parking lot - on the highest ground, so as to be sure that any unattended carts will roll away from my care - and walked the 200m or so to the store. By the time I was walking back, the skin between my biggest two toes was in searing pain, and my ankles weren't happy either.

Do they ever get comfortable or are they strictly for the minimal walking, never-have-to-shift crowd?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like flip-flops because it allows me to drive barefoot. I only wear thongs. All other styles of flops are unattractive.

Have you worn thongs before? It may take a while for you to develop callouses between your two big toes.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some flip flops are more comfortable than others. I've been wearing Rainbow sandals for a while and they've pretty much been comfortable since day one. I walked everywhere with them, sometimes 6-8 hours long.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thongs?
tongue.gif

Only if you're a stripper.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Some flip flops are more comfortable than others. I've been wearing Rainbow sandals for a while and they've pretty much been comfortable since day one. I walked everywhere with them, sometimes 6-8 hours long.
Rainbow and Reef probably make the comfortable thongs on the market because the piece that contacts the space between your toes is a soft fabric instead of hard leather or plastic. I don't really like their designs though; they're all rather mediocre.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thongs are great. It doesn't take long for in-between your toes to callous up, and the adjustments you must make to walking and driving are minor and you'll soon not even think about it. A great convenience.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it was Tom Ford who said men should never wear thongs in the city. Or anyone ,really. They get the feet disgustingly dirty and misshapen over time.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feet are unattractive. Thats why I never wear flip-flops.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
In a city such as New York I can see that. But what about a beach town? When I used to live in one, it was pretty common for people to swim one minute, then go off in their flip-flops to get a bite to eat in town. Then go swimming at the beach some more. Dirty feet because of that are pretty common there, so it's not really a faux pas.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know about NY but here they are perfectly fine. Then again, I *do* live on the coast.

keal

Reaction score
Born and raised here in Hawaii, where flip-flops are the norm for everyday wear
smile.gif

I ran the 2005 Honolulu Marathon in flip-flops. Got to the half-marathon point in 2:49. Hit the wall at mile 19 because too many people were asking me how it felt running with the thong slippers - I talked and didn't refuel correctly. Walked the last 5 miles. Believe it or not, it's easier to run than walk in flip-flops
smile.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
WHEW! and i thought we have reached a new level of discussion here when i saw the title!

[edit - please... no. -j]

xarope

Reaction score
I've never been able to wear thongs/flip-flops, even whilst growing up as an asian with everybody else around me wearing flip-flops, I just couldn't feel comfortable. Perhaps the sight of numerous discarded one-off flip-flops lying around the roads and drains also reinforced the subconcious decision!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads