1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thongs: how can you wear them?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SGladwell, Jun 10, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Distinguished Member

(On your feet, that is!)

About a month ago, I bought a pair of those Brazilian made PRL flip-flops with the leather sole and grosgrain-covered strap from the Grapevinehill webstore, because the Adidas soccer sandals I had been wearing as house shoes were well past their prime. Since they came in, I've been wearing them for maybe an hour or two a day, strictly at home and never standing for longer than it takes to cook an omelette.

For whatever reason, I decided to wear them to the grocery store today. Bad idea! First, operating the pedals properly in these shoes, especially the clutch, was a nightmare. The back edge kept getting caught as I moved my foot from the dead pedal to the clutch. So my driving was nowhere near as smooth as it usually is. Then I parked where I always do in the parking lot - on the highest ground, so as to be sure that any unattended carts will roll away from my care - and walked the 200m or so to the store. By the time I was walking back, the skin between my biggest two toes was in searing pain, and my ankles weren't happy either.

Do they ever get comfortable or are they strictly for the minimal walking, never-have-to-shift crowd?

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I like flip-flops because it allows me to drive barefoot. I only wear thongs. All other styles of flops are unattractive.

Have you worn thongs before? It may take a while for you to develop callouses between your two big toes.

3. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

Some flip flops are more comfortable than others. I've been wearing Rainbow sandals for a while and they've pretty much been comfortable since day one. I walked everywhere with them, sometimes 6-8 hours long.

4. Soph

Soph Distinguished Member

Thongs?[​IMG]
    Only if you're a stripper.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Some flip flops are more comfortable than others. I've been wearing Rainbow sandals for a while and they've pretty much been comfortable since day one. I walked everywhere with them, sometimes 6-8 hours long.
    Rainbow and Reef probably make the comfortable thongs on the market because the piece that contacts the space between your toes is a soft fabric instead of hard leather or plastic. I don't really like their designs though; they're all rather mediocre.

6. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Thongs are great. It doesn't take long for in-between your toes to callous up, and the adjustments you must make to walking and driving are minor and you'll soon not even think about it. A great convenience.

7. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I think it was Tom Ford who said men should never wear thongs in the city. Or anyone ,really. They get the feet disgustingly dirty and misshapen over time.

8. Reggs

Reggs Distinguished Member

Feet are unattractive. Thats why I never wear flip-flops.

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

In a city such as New York I can see that. But what about a beach town? When I used to live in one, it was pretty common for people to swim one minute, then go off in their flip-flops to get a bite to eat in town. Then go swimming at the beach some more. Dirty feet because of that are pretty common there, so it's not really a faux pas.

10. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

I don't know about NY but here they are perfectly fine. Then again, I *do* live on the coast.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Really, why would you drive barefoot and wear thong sandals?

12. keal

keal Senior Member

Born and raised here in Hawaii, where flip-flops are the norm for everyday wear [​IMG]

I ran the 2005 Honolulu Marathon in flip-flops. Got to the half-marathon point in 2:49. Hit the wall at mile 19 because too many people were asking me how it felt running with the thong slippers - I talked and didn't refuel correctly. Walked the last 5 miles. Believe it or not, it's easier to run than walk in flip-flops [​IMG]

13. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior Member

Hey, some of us might have a foot fetish.[​IMG]

14. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

WHEW! and i thought we have reached a new level of discussion here when i saw the title!

[edit - please... no. -j]

15. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

I've never been able to wear thongs/flip-flops, even whilst growing up as an asian with everybody else around me wearing flip-flops, I just couldn't feel comfortable. Perhaps the sight of numerous discarded one-off flip-flops lying around the roads and drains also reinforced the subconcious decision!