Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thomas Pink

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by 5thave, Mar 28, 2005.

1. 5thave

5thave Active Member

Can I get some general opinions on the quality and style of the clothes from Thomas Pink? I visited their store in midtown and everything they had was too bold and loud, but these clothes seem relatively popular.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I've got 4 Pink shirts, and I like them all. The two 170s cotton ones are right up there with Borrelli in terms of silky softness. I got two of my shirts on Ebay and two I bought on sale at the store. I would not pay their full retail price though, as I think there is better value elsewhere.

The colors are loud on some Pink shirts, but I like them. We don't need another boring Jos. Banks-style shirtmaker in town. Plus, you can buy plain color shirts there too -- white and light blue.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I don't like Pink shirts at all. They are cut rather large, have plastic buttons and the fabric is nowhere the quality one would expect for the price (it does NOT feel like Borrelli). For $140 per shirt you are better off waiting for the next H&K sale and spending like $90 per shirt; which incidentally utilizes single needle stitching, shell buttons, fairly good RTW material (better than RTW T&A, me thinks), and all the patterns are matched.

Jon.

4. tdial

tdial Senior member

I think the styling of Pink shirts is good. The fit is terrible--very blousy (RTW). Plastic buttons are horrible (for $140, the buttons better be MOP or shell). I have also had the four Pink shirts I own fray at the collar and cuffs (which don't hold their shape very long) and the buttons come off.

You can do a lot better for $140.

5. gracian

gracian Senior member

Agree with ImageWis and others. I have several early Pink shirts where the cut was much better along with the quality. They used to utilize MOP buttons but no longer. Last month, I bought one of their stock ones because of an emergency. Went to the Boston store. The shirt is bigger than previous iterations with very large cuffs. I was practically swimming in it. The H & K shirts I recently received however are beautiful.

6. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

Yep - I own one Pink shirt, and the collar has frayed terribly after just 4-5 washings. Not recommended.

Panzer

7. jmswentworth

jmswentworth Senior member

A nomad in a suit: London, Frankfurt, Milan, Paris
    Poor quality, and overpriced.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

word

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Ugh.

10. Doctor Crane

Doctor Crane Well-Known Member

Thomas Pink is owned by the conglomerate that also owns Louis Vuitton. Need more be said?

11. kgoodman16

kgoodman16 New Member

Not to sound stupid, but who's H&K?
    Thanks
    Ken Goodman

12. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Hilditch & Key

sorry, lots of abbreviations use around here, can be confusing

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

Reading this post's responses, one would think Pink shirts are best suited as rags for cleaning off road tar from the underside of your Jaguar. I agree they ain't the bee's knees (Borrelli and T&A have that honor in my closet), and it is odd they don't have MOP buttons (neither does the one Richard James shirt I have, to give another English example), but otherwise they are no better or worse than Lorenzini IMO.

14. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think the idea is that for the money you spend on a Pink shirt ($140) you can do a lot better. Nobody is saying that your run of the mill $20 shirt from Macys is better than Pink, but for the money you spend on a Pink shirt you have a lot of other options that are going to be much better quality.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What are you talking about? Lorenzini makes one of the best machine-made shirts out there.

Jon.