• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas pink

tsloop

Reaction score
I like some of the patterns on some of the thomas pink shirts on ebay but I dont really know anything about them, they seem to be going for about $40 a shirt, and I was wondering is that too high or a good price? Also, what is the quality of them? Obviously they arent going to be the greatest shirts and from the pictures they seem maybe a little too casual to go with nice pants.

Also, what other brands of dress shirts do you guys recommend? I have been looking at kiton, brioni and borrelli but there is hardly anything in my size that I like and I hate having to pay $350 a shirt at saks or neiman marcus just becuase I cant find what I want anywhere else.

rsp1

Reaction score
Personally, I think that Thomas Pink shirts are somewhat overpriced for the quality. I put a bunch of mine on ebay a few months back and was shocked that they received bids higher than what Charvets and T&A shirts were going for (clearly superior shirts) -- shows what marketing can do. Other moderately-priced name brands to look into are Charles Trwhitt (www.ctshirts.com), which are basically Pink knock-offs at 1/2 the price (and they frequently have huge discount sales) and Ike Behar (I'm not a fan because they're absurdly baggy, but Saks treats them like a house brand and puts them on sale frequently). As for ebay, search for Lorenzini, Canali, Zegna, Charvet, Barba, Eton, Hilditch & Key (cheaper version of T&A).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it's possible to get Turnbull & Asser shirts on ebay for a fairly good price, if you are willing to look a bit, I've bought a couple with "Buy it Now" for about $50, that are quite nice. Of course, there are alot of strange colors and weird patterns out there for that price, it takes a little searching to find the right item.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I think that Thomas Pink shirts are somewhat overpriced for the quality. I put a bunch of mine on ebay a few months back and was shocked that they received bids higher than what Charvets and T&A shirts were going for (clearly superior shirts) -- shows what marketing can do. Other moderately-priced name brands to look into are Charles Trwhitt (www.ctshirts.com), which are basically Pink knock-offs at 1/2 the price (and they frequently have huge discount sales) and Ike Behar (I'm not a fan because they're absurdly baggy, but Saks treats them like a house brand and puts them on sale frequently). As for ebay, search for Lorenzini, Canali, Zegna, Charvet, Barba, Eton, Hilditch & Key (cheaper version of T&A).
I have to disagree, as far as RTW shirts goes; H&K is ahead of T&A in terms of quality, finishing, and pattern matching. Lets compare apples with apples, shall we? T&A: Real MOP buttons but, use no pattern matching for RTW shirts (MTM and bespoke). Still unclear if they use double or single stitching...I have seen conflicting info. H&K: Shirts with patterns are matched from shoulder to sleeve, as well as the collar, cuffs and pockets to the main body of the shirt. They use real shell buttons and always use single needle stitching. Better basic RTW cotton than T&A. Coincidently, in England RTW H&K shirts are regarded as better than T&A shirts for the aforementioned reasons and subsequently priced higher than T&A. Jon.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Lorenzini and Hilditch & Key on EBay -- they don't get much bidding and are very high quality (people just don't seem to know the names). I've got 4 Pink shirts and I like them. I got 2 of them on sale at the Pink store and the other 2 on Ebay. If the price is right (i.e., don't pay full retail), then I think they are very nice shirts that seem to fit very well.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Pink takes a terrible drubbing here and on Andy's, but I like my two shirts from the Frisco store. I was, however, profoundly underwhelmed by the service, and the buttons are pedestrian.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shirt discussions are always lively
smile.gif
 I guess it's a good thing, it means there are a lot of good places/brands out there that deserve recommending. I second most comments here. Thomas Pink shirts (and most shirts, generally, IMHO) are overpriced, even on eBay. They don't have the attention to detail or quality that "Jermyn St." used to connotate. However, they're not BAD shirts, and if you like the styling and fit, are certainly nothing to be ashamed of. I hope that doesn't sound defensive. I have a couple H&Ks, a couple Pinks, numerous Brooks Brothers non-irons to compensate for laziness, and several Tyrwhitts - I haven't been patient enough to use Jantzen yet, though I'm eager since, according to their customers here, they present the best value in the world, far as shirts are concerned. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the Tyrwhitts at their sale price-point. I'd agree they're Pink-like, but they have nice details and I find them to be a solid step above mall or brooks brothers in style and quality. So, get em on sale, or search the forum (someone had a 50% off link back when). Also, Ben Silver's website occasionally marks down H&K shirts somewhat, and it's rare in the US to find them on sale. I've yet to take advantage, but I've never heard bad things about Ben Silver's service. It should be noted that I'm on a shoestring budget, so value/ease of care is a priority for me, along with fit/style. How many times can I type "value" in one day? Â
biggrin.gif
EDITED to remove the phrase "BS Service." Ha.

rsp1

Reaction score
Re: H&K vs. T&A, I plead ignorance and defer to the expert. I actually have several H&K shirts and like them very much (the RTW T&A's simply don't fit me well). Perhaps another example of marketing and name recognition leading to a (undeserved?) price premium.

Edit: To reflect my complete inability to properly use the "quote" function.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: H&K vs. T&A, I plead ignorance and defer to the expert. I actually have several H&K shirts and like them very much (the RTW T&A's simply don't fit me well). Perhaps another example of marketing and name recognition leading to a (undeserved?) price premium.

Edit: To reflect my complete inability to properly use the "quote" function.
I have to admit, whilst the RTW T&A's are not in my opinion a justified purchase when discussing full retail prices, I must admit that if found on sale, there are worse shirts that are available out there at far greater prices. I have purchased RTW T&A shirts at NM for around $68 and I think they were definitely justifiable.

T&A does deserve their name recognition when it comes to MTM and bespoke shirts, especially as far as English-made shirts are concerned. At the MTM and bespoke level is when their shirt making talent arises, with perfectly matched patterns, hand sewn MOP buttons and single needle stitching, not to mention an amazing array of fabric choices.

Of course, in the end I rather wait for one of H&K's sales and purchase RTW shirts with matching patterns (with the most perfect cutaway collar) at a third of MTM T&A prices.

Jon.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink gives you little for money.

That's true, Hilditch is fantastic for 67 euros (sales price).

I bought 27 shirts and have received 3 free.

Nevertheless, do not be surprised to find some defective shirts (plastic buttons or too short sleeves) and be ready to exchange them...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pink gives you little for money.

That's true, Hilditch is fantastic for 67 euros (sales price).

I bought 27 shirts and have received 3 free.

Nevertheless, do not be surprised to find some defective shirts (plastic buttons or too short sleeves) and be ready to exchange them...
Well, luckily I haven't had Ernest's "˜luck' with H&K...at the same time I do not purchase their shirts in the Paris store, so maybe that could be why I have not had any problems.

Jon.

kidkim2

Reaction score
imageWIS-- Then again you probably don't live with your parents, either.
smile.gif

Brian SD

Reaction score
(kidkim2 @ 01 Sep. 2004, 12:18) imageWIS-- Then again you probably don't live with your parents, either.
smile.gif

Actually, I do
biggrin.gif
. Although I am 9 years younger than Ernest and still in school (no way am I going to live in a dorm room 3 miles away from my house). Jon.
Maybe not a dorm, but a condo, or an apartment, or a thrashed up house... Move out man, I can't imagine living with my parents while going to college.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(imageWIS @ 01 Sep. 2004, 09:21)
Originally Posted by kidkim2,01 Sep. 2004, 12:18
imageWIS-- Then again you probably don't live with your parents, either.
smile.gif

Actually, I do
biggrin.gif
. Although I am 9 years younger than Ernest and still in school (no way am I going to live in a dorm room 3 miles away from my house). Jon.
Maybe not a dorm, but a condo, or an apartment, or a thrashed up house... Move out man, I can't imagine living with my parents while going to college.
Dude, chillax...I'll move out once I go to grad school (in another state). Plus, the parental units reside on the other side of the house, far away from me. Plus my lifestyle has not been changed negatively in any way by living at home. On top of which, I am able to save quite a bit of money which I wisely invest towards the future (I'm a business / economics major, what do you expect?). Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads