• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Pink sale

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thomas Pink takes a lot of abuse on this forum, but I have to admit that I like the shirts I have seen.  Sort of a poor man's Turnbull & Asser.  I know that the quality isn't great, but is it worth $89 (the current sales price)?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, you can have H&K for £45

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could do better with $89.

Saks is selling H&K for $75 on sale.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once, I agree with Ernest. $89 is still too expensive for Pink. If you're patient, a few, nice NWT T&A will pop up on Ebay periodically. The 50-65% off Tyrhwitt shirts + $10-20 will probably buy a better shirt and a cheaper price than even the sale Pinks.

Duveen

Reaction score
Hi,

Against my better judgement, I bought a shirt at the Pink sale - it is a pink shirt with a blue/green stripe that I really liked. Fit can be altered (as with any shirt), it was made in Ireland and I decided that I can live with the plastic buttons.

The quality is not that of Hilditch, but the fabric selection is unique. You might, maybe, be able to find a similar shirt elsewhere, but not the exact same thing.

Moral of the story - Pink can be a guilty pleasure, but try to stick to fabrics and patterns that you are unlikely to find elsewhere if you are worried about the quality.

Be aware, though, that all sales purchases are final at the Conn Ave store. No shoppers remorse allowed.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For once, I agree with Ernest.  $89 is still too expensive for Pink.  If you're patient, a few, nice NWT T&A will pop up on Ebay periodically.  The 50-65% off Tyrhwitt shirts + $10-20 will probably buy a better shirt and a cheaper price than even the sale Pinks.
I thought that everything was only 50% off? HOw are you getting an extra 15% off? I would love to know cause i need some shirts

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One great thing about Pink is the variety of colors/fabrics offered. The only other quality shirtmaker I can think of with similar variety is T&A. Perhaps Hilditch has similar variety of colors in England, but I've never seen it here.

New Pink shirts can be bought quite cheaply on EBay -- for less than $89. But, they're usually the more staid designs and colors, such as pinks or simple blues and whites.

spinlps

Reaction score
Second all that. It's easy to dismiss an $89 Pink shirt, but I think you need to ask fabric and pattern before doing so. Sure, a "staple" shirt from other manufacturers can be had cheaper and perhaps at higher quality. If Pink does one thing well, however, it's offering a unique array of fabric colors and patterns, especially in a French Cuff. I own several Pinks, and they're all unique FC colors / patterns as my work place allows that sort of thing. I go else where for basics, but if a fabric catches your eye, it's discounted, and you don't mind heading to the tailor after a few washes, then I say go for it. Body fit aside, I haven't had any problems with my Pinks, several of which are approaching 4 - 5 years old.

FCS

Reaction score
What are the construction specs of a typical Pink shirt? Do they have single-needle stitching and pearl buttons?

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plastic buttons on the Pink shirts only, even what they call Super 170s, which they sell for $210 full retail. Absurd. I find most of their patterns (bold checks and stripes) very tasteless. I think T&A and even H&K have much more elegant, yet bold patterns.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Plastic buttons on the Pink shirts only, even what they call Super 170s, which they sell for $210 full retail.  Absurd.  I find most of their patterns (bold checks and stripes) very tasteless.  
I _think_ the 170s shirts _may_ have MOP buttons. They are the only Pink shirts that still appear to be made in Ireland, unless Pink is just using old labels. However, for a little less you can get Hilditch & Key Sea Island quality shirts, in which they seem to use 160s cotton. A good shirtmaker's cotton has much better finishing than anything Pink uses. If you like the Pink patterns and $90 + tax seems like a fair price for you, go for it. However, I personally think Banana Republic shirts are better made and cheaper, with enough funky patterns. Like Pink, they're 3rd-world made, but unlike Pink, they have MOP buttons (many do, at least).

Pressfan

Reaction score
I picked up three Pink shirts in Detroit over Christmas, two designated as "Finest Cotton"  or some such and the other a "Super 170".  All were made in Ireland.  In fact, virtually all the shirts there were made in Ireland with the exception of a few bold striped sport shirts which were made in Romania.  After reading previous posts, I had expected virtually all of the product to be made in third-world countries.

Although I didn't purchase any, the ties all appeared to be made in Italy.  The last Pink tie I bought was a decade ago at Heathrow and it was made in the U.K.

Certainly the full price is excessive, but I thought many of the patterns were tasteful and distinctive, and as noted, most could be had with button or French cuffs.  While they still couldn't be classed as a bargain, and given I didn't see any T&A or H&K on sale and the patterns were superior to what I saw in Brooks, I can't say that I'm unhappy with the shirts.  Interestingly enough, my recollection is I paid about the same 10 years ago in Heathrow (although those were at full price).

dandersson

Reaction score
Perhaps being from Academia - the idea of wearing a product that is now part of the English language "in the Pink" appeals to me.
wink.gif
tounge.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plastic buttons on the Pink shirts only, even what they call Super 170s, which they sell for $210 full retail. Absurd. I find most of their patterns (bold checks and stripes) very tasteless. I think T&A and even H&K have much more elegant, yet bold patterns.
I agree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads