Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thomas Mason Shirtings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by morsem, Sep 16, 2006.

1. morsem

morsem Active Member

What is the fair market price for a MTM shirt made from TM Silverline? Goldline?

Thanks.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Really depends a lot on the maker.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I once did a MTM shirt from Brioni in Thomas Mason fabric that was around $350 but that was five years ago.

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Really depends a lot on the maker.

Very true, but I'd say the starting price would be around $225-$275 for silverline and goldline at a half-decent maker. My shirtmaker's shirts start at about $250 and go up to about $500 for the 200/2 Alumo. He doesn't carry Thomas Mason but he has similar stuff available and it's at the low end of the price spectrum. Harry Rosen does their MTM silverline shirts for $250 and goldline is a little more. Oh and these are canadian prices.

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

Guess this makes J.Crew incredible value for money.

6. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

(we need a rising from the dead smilie for these old post resurrections...)

Anyways...

I have found a tailor to make some shirts for me. I am going to start with one shirt, and order a couple more upon successful completion of the first one. He carries Thomas Mason fabric, and has the current Silverline and Goldline books. He got new books in within the last three months, so I assume these are the most recent collection. The Silverline is in two volumes (purple box, IIRC), and Goldline is in a single red book.

He is asking $185 for a Silver line shirt, and $200 for the Gold line. I have been doing a bit of research into the topic, and there seems to be varying opinions around on whether Gold line is worth the extra (however, it seems most are paying more for the up-charge...). Here is some info and links to the Albini site:

I plan on wearing the shirts regularly, will be laundering at home, and looking for a white 'fancy' fabric with FC, and two blues (one solid, one with stripes or checks, depending on what I see in the book). Any opinions on Gold v. Silver? [​IMG]

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I would maybe start with the silver line for your first shirt from the maker. Sure, it's only $15, but why not save the money if it's possible the shirt won't be perfect. I've looked at the books at my shirtmaker's and they are nice. Lots of patterned choices in there. The price you are being charged seems on the low end to me.

I once did a MTM shirt from Brioni in Thomas Mason fabric that was around $350 but that was five years ago.

[​IMG]

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

$200 for a Goldline custom shirt is very good. I pay closer to $300 for mine. Anyway, of all the high-end cotton shirtings I've tried (Acorn Grasmere, Alumo 200, 170, 3x3 160, SIC Tess 200, etc.), my favorite shirting in terms of feel are the 140s Goldline. I've had some Silverline before, and the Goldline is much better in its feel: much softer and smoother.

--Andre

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

(we need a rising from the dead smilie for these old post resurrections...)

Anyways...

I have found a tailor to make some shirts for me. I am going to start with one shirt, and order a couple more upon successful completion of the first one. He carries Thomas Mason fabric, and has the current Silverline and Goldline books. He got new books in within the last three months, so I assume these are the most recent collection. The Silverline is in two volumes (purple box, IIRC), and Goldline is in a single red book.

He is asking $185 for a Silver line shirt, and $200 for the Gold line. I have been doing a bit of research into the topic, and there seems to be varying opinions around on whether Gold line is worth the extra (however, it seems most are paying more for the up-charge...). Here is some info and links to the Albini site:

I plan on wearing the shirts regularly, will be laundering at home, and looking for a white 'fancy' fabric with FC, and two blues (one solid, one with stripes or checks, depending on what I see in the book). Any opinions on Gold v. Silver? [​IMG]

Honestly, they are just two different books with different fabrics. From what I recall, there was very little overlap in patterns. The price differential itself is insignificant. Last I checked the golds were mostly 120s and the silvers 100s. That was 2-3 years ago with the harry rosen bespoke shirt experiment (which miserably failed btw), however. My shirtmaker doesn't use TM. He uses alumo, sic tess, acorn, etc.

10. Young Pro

Young Pro Senior member

Honestly, they are just two different books with different fabrics. From what I recall, there was very little overlap in patterns. The price differential itself is insignificant. Last I checked the golds were mostly 120s and the silvers 100s. That was 2-3 years ago with the harry rosen bespoke shirt experiment (which miserably failed btw), however. My shirtmaker doesn't use TM. He uses alumo, sic tess, acorn, etc.

GQ guy,
    I seem to recall you being located in Montreal - is that so? If so, would be curious to know who your shirtmaker is? I'm currently in Toronto, but grew up in Montreal and still spend considerable time there and have yet to find a great shirtmaker here. If you're not comfortable posting the name, feel free to PM me.

11. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

My understanding is that Goldline uses Giza (egyptian) cotton in 140-170 two ply, while the Silver uses 'standard' cotton in 100-120 two ply. There will be quite a substantial quality difference between to the two, as the Silverline will most likely wear 'heavier' and wrinkle less, while the Goldline will be smother to the touch, but more prone to wrinkling...

I don't know how I missed THIS THREAD the last time I searched, but it has some additional information that helps to clear things up.... we all know the great AK is never wrong, right? [​IMG] some nice snarkiness from Dopey as well towards the end.. great read, all in all!!

PS: who are you using for shirts, GQ? You are in Canada, correct?

12. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

$220 - $250 for Silverline and $270-$300 for Goldline are typical I believe.

I have found Goldline to wrinkle easily and I stick with the basics (Silverline and Acorn's Grange).

13. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

$220 - $250 for Silverline and $270-$300 for Goldline are typical I believe.

I have found Goldline to wrinkle easily and I stick with the basics (Silverline and Acorn's Grange).

Silverline and Acorn's "grange" are both good stuff. Fine cottons with some body.

14. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

FYI
    Albini is opening a large factory in Egypt. Closer to the source of the cotton!
    Who knows where the Acorn grange quality is being produced.

Silverline is more substantial. Goldline will wrinkle more. the royal oxford weave and twills are just to soft for my taste.
    Carl

15. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Silverline and Acorn's "grange" are both good stuff. Fine cottons with some body.

I agree. Acorn doesn't seem to get much love here, but I think its good stuff (love Grasmere too but it has the same wrinkling issue as Goldline).