• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thomas Mason/J.Crew Shirts

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Who here has experience with the latest Thomas Mason shirts J.Crew is selling on their website? I've considered picking up a Gingham or plain white one but haven't seen much chatter on here concerning the fits. Would these shirts look as good untucked casually? Torn between just picking up a couple of their vintage oxfords/secret wash shirts or the TM. Thanks.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, TM shirts are supposed to be dress shirts, but if you hemmed them, they'd look ok casually.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They have the same fit as their other shirts.

Originally Posted by wmmk
IIRC, TM shirts are supposed to be dress shirts, but if you hemmed them, they'd look ok casually.
Thomas Mason is a fabric manufacturer for shirtings. Their stuff is nice.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Would a Black Fleece Oxford be a better choice for versatility? I've read on here that the BF Oxfords really don't look very good untucked unless you have them altered. Thinking that if I am going to have to hem the shirt anyways (5'7, can't afford BoO right now) then I might like to try the BF stuff. Thanks.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can afford black fleece, but not BoO???

I have tried on TM shirts at jcrew for the hell of it and they are nice, but i like my black fleece OCBDs more. I can pair them with anything and not really look out of place. I should have bought more than one white since that it easily my favorite shirt.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Alright thanks. I was all set to pick up a BF Oxford in white back a few weeks ago when they were discounted but passed then ended up kicking myself for it. Now they are back to $150 a pop on the BB site. Think you sealed the deal for me...I'm looking for a go to white ocbd.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
They have the same fit as their other shirts.

Thomas Mason is a fabric manufacturer for shirtings. Their stuff is nice.

I know they have a similar fit, but aren't they too long to be worn as untucked sportshirts?
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
you can afford black fleece, but not BoO???

I have tried on TM shirts at jcrew for the hell of it and they are nice, but i like my black fleece OCBDs more. I can pair them with anything and not really look out of place. I should have bought more than one white since that it easily my favorite shirt.

BF is $150 retail, and BoO $345 retail.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i wouldn't pay full retail on it since i know the are discounted every few months or so. do any BB by you carry black fleece? sometimes, stores have them discounted while online does not. that happened when i bought all of mine.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Nah, I live in the mountains of Virginia...most around me aren't too familar with BoO or BF sadly. I'd probably have to drive to Richmond to find a BB. I think I'll just wait until the website discounts them again. Thanks guys!

kinetic

Reaction score
I have a two Black Fleece OCBDs and I love them, the fit is nearly perfect on me, but I needed a size 0. I wear them untucked at times and haven't had any issues with length.

I recently got one of the Thomas Mason shirts from J Crew as well and I love the material, but the fit is a bit off. Sleeves are a bit too long, and I wouldn't wear it casually without getting the getting the body length tailored.

I would definitely go with the BF first though, the construction alone puts it above J Crew.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kinetic
I have a two Black Fleece OCBDs and I love them, the fit is nearly perfect on me, but I needed a size 0. I wear them untucked at times and haven't had any issues with length.

I recently got one of the Thomas Mason shirts from J Crew as well and I love the material, but the fit is a bit off. Sleeves are a bit too long, and I wouldn't wear it casually without getting the getting the body length tailored.

I would definitely go with the BF first though, the construction alone puts it above J Crew.

Thanks Kinetic, that's exactly what I was looking for. BF OCBD it is.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no opinion on the JCrew shirts, but...
Originally Posted by Hokiefan
I'd probably have to drive to Richmond to find a BB.
...I'm going to assume that you go to VT and thus live in Blacksburg/Christiansburg. If so, then go to Charlotte instead of Richmond. It's an hour closer, there's a decent BB in Southpark Mall, and it's just generally a better city for shopping.

Hokiefan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
I have no opinion on the JCrew shirts, but...

...I'm going to assume that you go to VT and thus live in Blacksburg/Christiansburg. If so, then go to Charlotte instead of Richmond. It's an hour closer, there's a decent BB in Southpark Mall, and it's just generally a better city for shopping.

Outstanding. For some reason I always think of Richmond when I've got my mind on shoes, clothes, etc. that I know good and well aren't going to be available in Roanoke (closest "city"). I do like Charlotte a lot so there might have to be a road trip soon. Thanks for the info.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ you better make sure they stock Black Fleece. not all of them do

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem. I've been to most of the cities around Blacksburg in the last two years and I've found that DC and Charlotte are the best.

And yeah, I don't know if the Southpark BB stocks Black Fleece. You might also check the one in Northgate Mall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads