• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know this has been done over and over again, but after trying on a few of his things in London, I can definitely say that I enjoy his aesthetic even if it is not mine. Harvey Nichols had a terrific blue plaid suit that I could see wearing if I had the balls to do so. I would wear it with socks
devil.gif

From the sweaters I saw last year to this suit to the cool ties from suiting material, I can definitely see what he is doing and why it is interesting. I think that it will be a shame if he changes too much to find the next new rend, as the modified preppy does have some sortof place in the world.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
last season's sweaters were amazing. Way beyond my reach, pricewise but very nice clothes.

So far in the past 2-3 seasons of Browne, there hasn't been much change to his aesthetic in RTW, which is good. It would be nice to see him stay in his current mode as that's his niche. It's like classic shoemakers, they don't change too much within their own defined aesthetic, and it works for them, so why not for clothes as well. Esp as TB doesnt really follow fashion cues that someone else has set.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to change my username to "Thom Browne's Schooldays".

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
<3

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
iammatt;543559 said:
Harvey Nichols had a terrific blue plaid suit that I could see wearing if I had the balls to do so. I would wear it with socks
devil.gif

QUOTE]

Matt, since you only have Navy socks, that should work well.
laugh.gif
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
<3
I guess what I should add is that on a personal level I enjoy wearing things that are similar to what I wore as a child. In that way I have always (at least as soon as I found special orders) worn 3-3.5 inch ties etc, and Thom Browne has that same vibe to it. It doesn't really fit into my reality, and I think that the prices are out of bounds, but it definitely brings that nostalgic feeling that is very comforting while at the same time being new and different.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My only issue with TB (Browne, not tuberculosis) is that in the realm of &quot;classic&quot; menswear, his aesthetic is one with a short shelf life. Whether you believe he is simply updating classics for a more modern, youthful clientele or are on the side that says that he is simply being outrageous for the sake of being outrageous, the bottom line is that the Browne look cannot continue in it's current incarnation for too long. Obviously, his current buyers tend to the younger side, more edgy than the Brooks or Paul Stuart customer, and also they aren't working at a law/investment/conservative firm (I know I am generalizing but please, no &quot;I am a lawyer/banker/plumber and I wear his stuff&quot; ). So, what you end up having are customers that get older and move on to &quot;older&quot; clothes, customers that stay &quot;edgy&quot; and by definition move on to the next &quot;edgy&quot; thing and the next generation which decides who the cool designer/clothes are for them. TB will either have to adapt his aesthetic to a more conservative look (The Brooks situation seems like it will bear some nice fruit), or become a fashion designer a la Slimane, Gucci, D&amp;G and constantly reinvent himself. Tuxedos with shorts, suits that you wear with flood ready pants and no socks all seem edgy and cool now, but a glance back at fashion will show you that what looks cool and edgy today has a funny way of looking really bad down the road.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
What I think you are missing Ed is that Thom Browne is wearing two hats. He has his sartorial line of "classic" suits and then he has his runway collections featuring prism metallic parkas among other things.

Another thing about the pants...THEY DO NOT COME LIKE THAT. Everyone seems to think that you have no option but to have them showing your ankles. You can still be a trim suit with a somewhat shrunken jacket and have whatever pant length you so desire.

"All seem edgy and cool now, but a glance back at fashion will show you that what looks cool and edgy today has a funny way of looking really bad down the road."
Fashion is cyclical...there is no denying that.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I think Thom Browne's "slimness" is over assumed. Sure, his stuff fits slim (esp the shirts) but his suits cover a pretty broad range of sizes, even going all the way up to 44 (size 5?)

Maybe it's because TB loyalists wear his gear a full size too small to get that shrunken look that makes everyone think his clothes are so slim. A normal sized person can look perfectly fine in thom browne.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I think Thom Browne's "slimness" is over assumed. Sure, his stuff fits slim (esp the shirts) but his suits cover a pretty broad range of sizes, even going all the way up to 44 (size 5?)

Maybe it's because TB loyalists wear his gear a full size too small to get that shrunken look that makes everyone think his clothes are so slim. A normal sized person can look perfectly fine in thom browne.

I think the thing is that the chest is slim and the waist is very high. The armholes are not as high as what I am used to, but the overall silhouette is relatively pleasing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads