• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne trying too hard...

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I like some of Thom’s designs but don’t like the way his suits fit most personalities. GS looks like his suit was made by an “anyone USA” label with the narrow lapels option, if he didn’t say TB, I would not have guessed it. SoCal looks like he went into the store and the bought the outfit mannequin number 3 was wearing at the time. In the pic of the two guys walking I find the look very appealing.

TB style only works in a nonchalant way, people who I see in his stuff all too often seem acutely self aware in a “Look at me, Look at me!!” kinda way (much like Thom himself).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
crackup[1].gif

Your prose reminds me of something...are you familiar with Gerald Durrell...the younger brother of the famous Lawrence?

The way you talk is PRECISELY the way Gerald depicts his more famous older brother in My Family and Other Animals as well as numerous other stories.

I'm actually not too familiar with Gerald Durrell. Apparently, according to Amazon, he was a naturalist who is now rather unknown--sort of like Richard Halliburton who was a then known world traveler.

Edith Sitwell also wrote in a similar style; some of her descriptions of people are great, better, in my opinion, than some of her poetry.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a fairly conservative wool sportcoat by Browne in a shop at Place des Moulins, Monte Carlo. 5800 euros.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think SoCal looks better in Thom Browne than Thom Browne too. It's nice to see his combinations in the waywn thread.

I'm curious to see what TBs actual Brooks Bros stuff will look like once it's available. I'm assuming it will be less exaggerated than the runway pics. Will it be a similar pricepoint to other Brooks Bros lines?

Swann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
edit : go back a few pictures and WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE is Lapo Elkann wearing?

Jesus...

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm actually not too familiar with Gerald Durrell. Apparently, according to Amazon, he was a naturalist who is now rather unknown--sort of like Richard Halliburton who was a then known world traveler.

Edith Sitwell also wrote in a similar style; some of her descriptions of people are great, better, in my opinion, than some of her poetry.

Yes, he was a British naturalist in the fading days of the British empire, and quite a personality. He wrote travel and nature books in a vary humorous tone., If you are acquainted with Lawrence Durrell - the Alexandria Quartet - pick up My Family and Other Animals. Fun, short, and hysterical read, and it kind of explains Lawrence's prose.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Will it be a similar pricepoint to other Brooks Bros lines?

nope, not according to early price reports. A suit is expected to be in the $2-3,000 range.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think this has been a fairly restrained TB thread. I'm surprised considering how long it already is.

Personally, I think he looks creepy in his outfits, in this pic in particular. I'm not going to go so far as to say exactly what I think he looks like, but a similar effect could be had by wearing a mustache and an oversized tucked-in safari shirt into shorts, or just a mustache, a creepy grin and a trenchcoat with no pants showing.

I tend to think TB's look (in terms of what he actually wears himself) is one of those jokes people "in the know" pretend to "get" so they don't look stupid... but at some point not too far in the future he is probably going to become old hat and will be a fair running joke among the very same people.

That all said, I still like a few of his pieces and I'll be interested to see what the BBBF line looks like.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no big deal he is just doing it to grab attention. after all look at how many posts there are on this one thread.
this ploy is used by all the womens designers. look at all the outlandish things they present on the runway.

Cambion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
too bad that means nothing for you
crackup[1].gif

Being straight, I'm not 100% sure I have this correct, but I think I see how the exposed suit ankle could seen as very sexy on a gay man. Wearing a suit is a highly masculine thing, brings to mind male archetypes of business and politics. However, the exposed ankle throws into this a bit a vulnerability. Kind of the same way that high heels on women are sexy because they make them seem kind of awkward and vulnerable. Although I could never wear it, I think the exposed ankle is a nice almost subversive element to the look.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cambion
Being straight, I'm not 100% sure I have this correct, but I think I see how the exposed suit ankle could seen as very sexy on a gay man.

0% correct.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Your theory assumes that gay men are attracted to other men for the same reason that straight men are attracted to women.

(hint : we aren't)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
Your theory assumes that gay men are attracted to other men for the same reason that straight men are attracted to women.

(hint : we aren't)

you mean that you don't like a nice rack and a non-existent voicebox?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads