• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne spotted

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in a room full of people today, none of whom claimed to be Creatives or in the Professional Intellectual Class, and one guy was wearing a Thom Browne suit. The trousers were trim bu pretty much normal length and the suitcoat was short but shy of silly. The effect was only barely "look at me". I was impressed that he went through the trouble to have a matching short haircut and dark solid tie.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread disappoints.

I thought you actually saw teh Browne and he gave you a free suit.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
This thread disappoints.

I thought you actually saw teh Browne and he gave you a free suit.

I thought he spotted teh Browne and was given a free radio station consultation.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
I thought he spotted teh Browne and was given a free radio station consultation.

lol, I still don't get that one.

He might have somehow fired dopey from his mining job though and replaced him with a woodpecker.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did know it was a TB suit?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
How did know it was a TB suit?

It looked like Thom Browne.
It had the goofy proportions but looked too well made and well fitted to be anything else. I know there are a lot of cheaper versions of the look, but this was out of a nice cloth. I suppose he could have convinced a Hong Kong tailor to make a suit styled like that but Thom Browne seemed the best guess.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Were there socks?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Were there socks?

I ran into Thom on the street on Tuesday. Wearing socks with his typical suit and a really nice grey vest. I had to say hello, he was incredibly nice and gracious.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
if I ever get around to it, I'll post pictures of how I wear TB. Jackets are slightly longer, pants are cuffed a sliver above the break point. You'd know it's TB in an instant, I have indeed had random people on the street ask me, but it's just a little less .. Browne-y

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
if I ever get around to it, I'll post pictures of how I wear TB. Jackets are slightly longer, pants are cuffed a sliver above the break point. You'd know it's TB in an instant, I have indeed had random people on the street ask me, but it's just a little less .. Browne-y

So was it you? That's pretty much what it looked like.
The jacket was short. Too short, but not silly too short.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The guy didn't look goofy, just like he was wearing a Thom Browne suit.

But isn't that kind of goofy itself? You might be able to pick out a Huntsman or Rubinacci from a crowd of suits, but I doubt most men could. In contrast, I imagine most could easily spot a Thom Browne suit as different from the rest, even if they couldn't name the maker.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who, that lives in NY, hasnt seen TB around town?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
So was it you? That's pretty much what it looked like.
The jacket was short. Too short, but not silly too short.

haha, didn't wear TB today unfortunately. Nor was I in a crowd in a room.

Tomorrow, yes, I have a medium navy w/ light cream pinstripes, white Brooks Brothers shirt (pretty much everything else is being dry cleaned now), a charcoal textured TB tie, and burgundy cap toe Aldens. Yeah it's cut short, but it looks like it was cut short for me, not like a suit that was mishandled at the drycleaners. I'm assuming it's what this gentleman did as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads