• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne spotted

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But isn't that kind of goofy itself? You might be able to pick out a Huntsman or Rubinacci from a crowd of suits, but I doubt most men could. In contrast, I imagine most could easily spot a Thom Browne suit as different from the rest, even if they couldn't name the maker.
A little, but it was no less goofy than the guys in ill fitting cheap suits or weird ties. Better, in my opinion. I understand what you are saying, and it is obviously not what I choose, but it is a restrained attempt at being fashionable, so I found it curious more than goofy.

Originally Posted by fcuknu
Who, that lives in NY, hasnt seen TB around town?
True, but this is only the second time I have seen one on a grown up that wasn't in luxury goods sales or playing Creative.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
haha, didn't wear TB today unfortunately. Nor was I in a crowd in a room.

Tomorrow, yes, I have a medium navy w/ light cream pinstripes, white Brooks Brothers shirt (pretty much everything else is being dry cleaned now), a charcoal textured TB tie, and burgundy cap toe Aldens. Yeah it's cut short, but it looks like it was cut short for me, not like a suit that was mishandled at the drycleaners. I'm assuming it's what this gentleman did as well.

I think that is what I saw, too.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
A little, but it was no less goofy than the guys in ill fitting cheap suits or weird ties. Better, in my opinion. I understand what you are saying, and it is obviously not what I choose, but it is a restrained attempt at being fashionable, so I found it curious more than goofy.

Gotcha. But sadly, ill-fitting suits are the norm. It's acceptable, if not sometimes considered a virtue, not to care much about the way your suit fits. The Thom Browne man sticks out a lot more even though I agree he may be less of an eyesore.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet Thom appreciates his support.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Gotcha. But sadly, ill-fitting suits are the norm. It's acceptable, if not sometimes considered a virtue, not to care much about the way your suit fits. The Thom Browne man sticks out a lot more even though I agree he may be less of an eyesore.

one could argue that TB suits are very ill fitting.... and not only because of the hem lines.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
if I ever get around to it, I'll post pictures of how I wear TB. Jackets are slightly longer, pants are cuffed a sliver above the break point. You'd know it's TB in an instant, I have indeed had random people on the street ask me, but it's just a little less .. Browne-y
I wear TB suits but with a slight break in the pants. The few who have asked about the maker seemed surprised to find out it's TB.

Wvillager

Reaction score
Yesterday there was a nice-looking light grey TB suit at the barney's sale in size 3 for $700ish after the new price slash. I almost tried it on just to see the fit but was in a rush

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I wear TB suits but with a slight break in the pants. The few who have asked about the maker seemed surprised to find out it's TB.

I find that when they stop at just above the break point, walking makes them look much more TB than with a slight break. It's all about the exposed socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads