1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thom Browne: Not so bad after all...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jovan, Aug 24, 2006.

1. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Distinctive, but I can't say I like how long the jackets are or how that black suit (black [​IMG]) has white buttons. LabelKing: You and Ivan raise good points. However, I've said all I can. Simply put, I'd take any women closer to looking natural over anyone so incredibly dolled up and shaped and poked and pointed that they look like a vintage Barbie doll.

3. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . . His suits are made in a factory in Queens that makes suits for other designers, for his prices I'd expect a little more exclusivity in the manufacturing process.
    Is this really true, Ed (or anyone else)? A friend had been to the store recently and was assured that Browne "owned" the factory in Long Island City. I assumed that these were factory made suits contracted for by Browne and that the salesman was lying or misinformed, but I really don't know. Do you? What is the story on the quality of Browne's stuff, regardless of who makes it?

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Yes it's true...I don't believe he's ever disclosed *who* is actually making the suits, other than it's some Italian tailoring company in NY IIRC. I originally thought it might be Martin Greenfield, but apparently it's not.

The quality is very good (full canvassed, gosgrain lining along the sleeves w/functional cuffs, very nice linings, good fabrics and full lined trousers). Is it $5000 good? Of course not.

I wonder if it's the same company that makes Duncan Quinn's suits? He advertises them like they are made in England, but I was talking with David from the NYC store when he was out in LA and he told me the suits were made in NYC

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

btw, this is some thread resurrection(!!)

7. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Last year I recall someone mentioning Ciccarelli Custom Tailors.

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think they were originally, at least that is the impression I had from looking at the suits for sale at Bergdorf in 04.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think they were originally, at least that is the impression I had from looking at the suits for sale at Bergdorf in 04.
    When Thom Browne had his trunk show at Neiman Marcus, the Neiman Marcus people told me it was that Italian-esque factory. That trunk show actually had a real live Thom Browne there.

10. dopey

Last year I recall someone mentioning Ciccarelli Custom Tailors.
    Thanks. Based on your lead, I poked around some more and that seems to be the sort-of-slightly-informed consensus view. I am not sure whether anyone who initially made the claim actually knew or whether the statement was just an inference based on snippets of information and the fact that Ciccarelli is the only factory/CMT shop in Liong Island City. I am not suggesting it is wrong - in fact, I think it is likely correct - but I wonder if anyone has more solid information. I have only seen a Thom Browne suit in person once or twice and that was on a person, not in a shop, so I couldn't inspect it for quality. I am not sure the quality even matters as the overall impression is that the wearer is wearing a Thom Browne suit - any other impression being conveyed, even the fit, was overwhelmed by the "designerness" and seemed besides the point. Nonetheless, I can at least tell my friend that Cicarelli is capable of making a good machine made suit and that Thom Browne likely contracts for the high end of their capability.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think if you say "Italian owned tailor in Long Island City," there is no other but Ciccarelli.

12. dopey

I think if you say "Italian owned tailor in Long Island City," . . .
    Who said that? Browne?

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

That trunk show actually had a real live Thom Browne there.

I hope he was on a leash and not in a cage, the poor thing.

14. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

ThomBrowneThomBrowneThomBrowneThomBrowneBlackSuitThomBrowneThomBrowneCroppedTrousersThomBrowneThomBrowne

15. dopey

btw, this is some thread resurrection(!!)

What do you want from me? I used the search function to try to find an answer first and found only a partial answer. Did you want me to start a NEW THOM BROWNE THREAD? I would have if there was a cool Thom Browne icon.

16. dave

dave Senior member

Since this seems like a good place to ask semi Thom Browne related quesitions, does anyone know when the Black fleece line is going to be in BB stores?

I read that the print compaign starts mid month this month so I would assume mid September but I havent seen any suggestion beyond "fall". I am hoping we have one of the initial 20 stores carrying the line here in the big D but I kinda doubt it.

17. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

Get Smart-Duncan Quinn uses Greenfield.

18. slycedbred

slycedbred Senior member

o bother...its THIS thread again...

19. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a sportcoat on order that will look slightly Thom Browne-ish except for it won't be short and the sleeves will be the right length.

20. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

For those of you in NY and slightly interested (I think I brought this up somewhere before):
    Now on the second floor at BG they have the Thom Browne "Sartorial" room which freatures the basic grey, navy, black, pinstripe and one windowpane suit which is offered in a R and a L size.
    Also, Monday on the 1st floor they are opening the section for Thom Browne (boxed)shirting and ties (not sure where it is at...maybe back by Polo?).