• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne is over

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Judging by the ubiquity of slim, no-break pants on this forum, I think the Thom Browne influence is still quite strong. I agree, though, that its popularity is waning.

I think for him it is unfortunate that he popularized a look that is so easily replicated without actually wearing Thom Browne. There are expensive brands out there that individualize themselves with specific types of tailoring, which is harder to imitate. I reckon those brands have a different clientle to some degree anyway...

Then again Thom didn't create slim pants with no break, the 60's did. He just kind of brought it back and pushed it to the limit.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
And i'm sure his trousers all have zips for quick opening...
lol8[1].gif

dunga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
In terms of menswear, Tom ford is a stylist, not a designer and Alber doesnt design the mens line.

What is the difference between a stylist and a designer? Isn't their creative and artistic contribution the measure of their greatness? Just because Thom Browne went to design school and Tom Ford didn't doesn't make him a visionary.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People like Ford and Ralph, theyre all stylists (when it comes to menswear). They have an aesthetic and tweak it every season. Not that I have less respect at all. TB creates runway collections that are "art".

Dinhilion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Judging by the ubiquity of slim, no-break pants on this forum, I think the Thom Browne influence is still quite strong. I agree, though, that its popularity is waning.
Exactly- All of the fashion shows were littered with cuffed/rolled pants. The look is directly inspired by Thom Browne. Plus he had a huge influence on the slimming movement we have been seeing for the past 5-10 years. Has he passed his peak? Probably. Does he only have one look? Yes. Did it dramatically shake up the menswear landscape? YES!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree. He totally doesn't have any talent at all and just copied Pee Wee Herman. What a hack.

Of course, I hate everything cool, so what do I know?

2010-10-01.jpg

mclovin_in_a_vest_superbad.jpg

Chikka chikka, yeah!!!!

H2T

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunga
Have you noticed that after winning the CFDA award in 2007 (or whenever), Thom Browne has basically disappeared and has not done anything of significance in the fashion world since. I think that proves that he was really just a flash in the pan and didn't have any real talent. All he did was come up with the idea of the too small suit (copied from Pee Wee Herman) and then market the hell out of it. Compare this with Thom Brown or Alber Elbaz, who have been at the top of the game forever and you can see the difference between talent and advertising.
It was insane for the establishment to rank him so highly to begin with. I mean, shrunken suits??? And people lapped it all up!

The emperor is not wearing any clothes....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads