• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne is over

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
I think the shirts, ties, shoes, etc are what will keep the line going. I mean, my next purchase will likely be their shell longwings. Just perfect business shoes. I know that the BF OCBD is most definitely StyleForvm approved, as its really just a great shirt.

As for the suits, if you tailor the pants to a normal length you're in the same fit territory as many other trendy suitmakers, and the construction is excellent. I think Browne will be around for awhile.

The construction used to be excellent in 2007 and 2008, but went down hill in 2009 and hasn't recovered. The suits and overcoats I bought in 2009 have all been donated because of their poor quality of construction and fit.

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The construction used to be excellent in 2007 and 2008, but went down hill in 2009 and hasn't recovered. The suits and overcoats I bought in 2009 have all been donated because of their poor quality of construction and fit.

Really? Well from what I understand the BBBF stuff is top notch. Its supposedly all full canvassed, bemberg linings, hand stitched, made in USA, etc. Also the shoes look incredible. Most of the Black Fleece offerings are shell, with some nubuck mixed in.

So maybe his mainline has suffered....which is sad to hear.
confused.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Really? Well from what I understand the BBBF stuff is top notch. Its supposedly all full canvassed, bemberg linings, hand stitched, made in USA, etc. Also the shoes look incredible. Most of the Black Fleece offerings are shell, with some nubuck mixed in.

So maybe his mainline has suffered....which is sad to hear.
confused.gif

No, I'm talking about BBBF. Trust me, it has slipped considerably since the line was introduced fall 2007. There are several threads about the decline of BF here on SF.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suits use to be caruso and 2700, now they are Southwick and 1900. The quality has gone down, but so has the price

dunga

Reaction score
The comments about Thom Browne's sales are interesting, but I was focussed more on his significance as a designer. It seems that his moment has past and he is not churning out any significant work as compared to designers with more artistic creativity like Tom Ford and Alber Elbaz. Now that the shrunken suit is passe, no one cares about Thom Browne and he has nothing else to offer.

xudisco07

Reaction score
For some people they look good. I have a BBBF suit, but the jacket length is correct for me so I don't look like my jacket shrunk and I didn't have the pants hemmed to man-pri levels. Sure a guy who is 6 foot will look ridiculous in it, but for those people who need shorter jackets it can look good.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
No, I'm talking about BBBF. Trust me, it has slipped considerably since the line was introduced fall 2007. There are several threads about the decline of BF here on SF.

His Signature line is made by Oxxford

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
I believe peewee had all his suits tailored by thom browne..
peewee1.jpg

And i'm sure his trousers all have zips for quick opening...

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dunga
The comments about Thom Browne's sales are interesting, but I was focussed more on his significance as a designer. It seems that his moment has past and he is not churning out any significant work as compared to designers with more artistic creativity like Tom Ford and Alber Elbaz. Now that the shrunken suit is passe, no one cares about Thom Browne and he has nothing else to offer.

In terms of menswear, Tom ford is a stylist, not a designer and Alber doesnt design the mens line.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads