Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Get Smart, Sep 8, 2006.

1. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

This sounds like a smart move on BB's part. Taking advantage of Thom Browne's success (regardless of your opinion on his suits) is a great way to re-capture a younger clientele, and could breath some new life into the company.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I'm generally anti-Browne, as I've made clear before, but I think this could be a good partnership. It creates some buzz for Brooks, it gives Browne a diffusion line of a sort while still remaining respectable and I think there could be some attractive pieces come out of it. Browne is well-schooled in the old style look, he just needs to work within acceptable parameters of normalcy, as it were. I'm for it.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I guess there will be some nice pieces, in that Brooks will tone down or "correct" the Browne aesthetic, i.e. their own. It just seems a little foolish that they would have to partner with (and pay a lot of money for that privelege, I'm sure) someone who essentially is riffing on their sartorial history.

I will, despite my dislike of Browne's work and what I've read of the man in his own words, take a look at the stuff and may buy. But will it have any influence beyond the few months they carry his stuff?

And who will be next? Boateng for Brooks Brothers? [​IMG]

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

And who will be next? Boateng for Brooks Brothers? [​IMG]

Richard James, maybe?

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I honestly can't wait for this collection to come out. I really like the TB style, but I don't like the TB price tag, so maybe the BB versions will be slightly more affordable.

On the other hand, if BB wants to attract more young people, they should get salesmen and women that are less off-putting to young people. Every time I've gone to BB I've had bad experiences with the way I was treated by their salespeople. They basically gave off this vibe that "you don't belong here young man."

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

This is touchy stuff. It takes a great eye, and a deep understanding of style, to update a house that's already an institution. True, Books may be stodgy, to many . . . but it's a dependable, reliable brand that men and women seek out, when other avenues can't quite deliver the goods. Also, Brooks prices are not bad. They're reasonable, in fact. I can't help remembering what happened to Saint Laurent's Rive Gauche line, after Tom Ford 'updated' it.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I wonder what the Andy Trad crowd thinks of this.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

seems a little foolish that they would have to partner with (and pay a lot of money for that privelege, I'm sure) someone who essentially is riffing on their sartorial history.

I hate these labels/brands that have a rich heritage and basically never acknowledge its existence. TB might be "riffing" Brooks' sartorial history but at least someone is, considering that Brooks sure isnt going into their own vaults to give us the products that helped make their name in the first place. It's akin to Levis not having a more solid line of selvage denim repros, considering the vast resources they have and have since inspired.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I hate these labels/brands that have a rich heritage and basically never acknowledge its existence. TB might be "riffing" Brooks' sartorial history but at least someone is, considering that Brooks sure isnt going into their own vaults to give us the products that helped make their name in the first place. It's akin to Levis not having a more solid line of selvage denim repros, considering the vast resources they have and have since inspired.

I agree with you, but I think Brooks Brothers is getting it, at least a little. What about the new 1818 Fitzgerald?

[​IMG]

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I saw that Fitzgerald on their website last month, and I agree that's a good direction for Brooks to move into. Looks nice in the pics, I can see Browne tweaking it a bit with a slightly higher buttoning point, slightly slimmer lapels, double vented (I dont know if the Fitz is single or double), slightly shorter jacket length. Just some minor tweaks that will change the overall vibe considerably, but not as extreme as his signature label.

If there are to be "approx 50 pieces" in the BrowneBrooks line, I'm sure most of those will be items other than suits, like shirts, jackets, ties and sweaters, which would capture my interest more.

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

interesting. and the nice thing about the browne-brook OTR items is that you don't have to get the damn short cut pants from the tailor if you don't want to. So you can easily get the elements you like (slimmer cut) without the elements you don't (those damn pants being hemmed like bermuda shorts).

12. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I wonder what the Andy Trad crowd thinks of this.

Probably crapping their boxers and Bill's Khakis. [​IMG]

I agree with those who believe this to be an interesting and positive development. I rarely go to BB anymore; their suits are not interesting to me. But I shall definitely take a look once this collection debuts.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Probably crapping their boxers and Bill's Khakis. [​IMG]
    They'll probably make multiple posts about the end of American civilization evidenced by this.

14. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest fan of Thom Browne, but I think this is a great idea. I'm generally young but I happen to like Brooks Brothers. The only thing that has kept me from buying more of their product is their horrible fit. Their clothing happens to be too wide and appear unflattering on me. I'm sure this appeals to the older crowd that frequently shops at BB, as they like their clothing to be spacious and what not. But what about the younger crowd who like their clothing a bit more fitted and would not want to look like their grandpa?

Considering Thom Browne's taste for slimmer silhouettes (though perhaps too much in some cases) I think this could work out quite well.

15. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm excited too - I like many of TB's looks although the price tag is certainly high.

My worry would be this: think of the body shape of the average Brooks Brothers customer, and extra fabric that their garments tend to have - especially shirts. The Thom Browne look works best with slim men - I would hope that Brooks Brothers/Thom Browne would account for this, and keep the clothing nice and trim (not necessarily too short though).