• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Week's Shoe Damage Part #12

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C&J Handgrade (for RL) Alton in dark brown suede on the 337 last
Edward Green Fulham double monk in burnt pine on the 888 last
John Lobb Sandon in dark oak on the 4800 last
C&J Handgrade (for Ben Silver) Lawrence in antique tan on the 330 last

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Lobb has a subtle elegance to it that is incredibly alluring...

Nice shoes as usual
smile.gif

shoefan

Reaction score
Andrew:

Very nice shoes. That Lobb has quite the chisel toe, a bit extreme to my taste, but interesting nevertheless. It's also interesting to see how straight/angular the side of the shoe is in the forefoot, versus, eg. the Greens. This is most likely related to the chisel toe, but it is more reminiscent of a French (e.g. Corthay) or perhaps Italian design than an English one.

If you compare the EG monk to the C&J monk, one can see why Green's skin stitching is so highly regarded. The C&J is, in essence, a copy of what Green does, but the stitching is much less visible and less attractive, IMO.

(BTW, I own the C&J 'knockoff' of the EG Dover, so it's not a criticism of the shoe, per se, just an observation that no other RTW firm does skin stitching as nicely as EG.)

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the JL 1105 last and the EG Fulham is heavenly sublim.
inlove.gif

I almost mistook the CJ Lawrence with JL Osner. Beautiful color BTW. I can't tell from the picture, are the stitches on the apron functional or are they just raised seams?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I really love the JL 1105 last and the EG Fulham is heavenly sublim.
inlove.gif

I almost mistook the CJ Lawrence with JL Osner. Beautiful color BTW. I can't tell from the picture, are the stitches on the apron functional or are they just raised seams?

Thanks VR! The Lawrence is indeed functional stitching. The work on the shoe is as nice as the osner as I just did a side by side comaprison myself. This is supposedly C&J's most intricate shoe and currently retails at Ben Silver for $685.

Mine came from Ebay for just a little bit less.
inlove.gif

Shoefan: Thanks for the kind words. I agree that EG does skin stitching better than anyone out there. The JL is an exaggerated toe for certain and again, I agree, that it shares more with Corthay and Aubercy than it's English bretheren.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've really given me a new love for split toes.
I think my next shoe will be an AE Delray in CHili

mussel

Reaction score
More eye candies and another wonder damage report from Andrew. I can never get tired with EG split toes, how many variations? Dover, Ecton, Fulham, Yardley,...?? Does EG has a John Lobb Bordor equivalent?

Let's say you average 4.5 pairs per damage report and now you have 12 reports that means you have 54 pairs of new shoes since you started the reports.
wow.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your taste in shoes is only outweighed by your good nature, nice choices.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
JLs. Very nice indeedy

Tibo

Reaction score
The EG's are stunning. Congratulations, very nice shoes (how surprising !)

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Your taste in shoes is only outweighed by your good nature, nice choices.

Thanks for the sentiment Bill, it's much appreciated!.
blush.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How similar is the CJ Lawrence to the Lobb Osner that Korshak had on sale this winter? I'm not hip to the last distinctions, but the antique tan looks a lot like Lobb's maple, no?

Very nice selection!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
How similar is the CJ Lawrence to the Lobb Osner that Korshak had on sale this winter? I'm not hip to the last distinctions, but the antique tan looks a lot like Lobb's maple, no?

Very nice selection!

Thanks for the kind words! I'll try to provide a comaprison shot later tonight of Osner, Lawrence and Yardley. I think they are quite similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads