• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Week's Shoe Damage #23

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EG Chelsea dark oak 82 last
EG Hythe burnt pine 888 last

EG Canterbury black 808 last
EG Fawsley balck 888 last

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All look nice, I like the Hythe and Fawsley the most (maybe it is 888). I think this is a rare thing for you, two pair of black shoes in the same week.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All 4 are outstanding, all with my fav lasts. Hythe is the standout, love the color. Are they all from the recent EG sale at Jermyn St.?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take the Chelsea and Canterbury; not a big fan of the swan's neck on the Hythe and Fawsley.

AP: The 808 looks exactly like 888 to me - especially the toebox. Is there a difference somewhere else?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

AP: The 808 looks exactly like 888 to me - especially the toebox. Is there a difference somewhere else?

As far as I can tell the toebox on the 888 is slightly more narrowed toward the noseof the shoe making for a slightly more "chisled" effect.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Wow,

Love the Chelsea in dark oak!
Beautiful!

sysdoc

Reaction score
Nice ones, Andrew! Took a while until they reached you though. I see you didn't go for the croc spectators in the end. How come?
smile.gif
I've got three of those for as well. Don't own Canterbury in black though. RE 888 vs. 808 The major difference is the 'direction' or 'location' of the chisel toe, while the width of the chisel is IMO pretty much the same. The toe box of the 808 tapers more to the middle, while the toe box of the 888 follows the banana last idea and tapers more to the inside. Naturally, the latter has got to be an easier fit, as it does not force your big toe as much towards the outside of your foot.
teacha.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sysdoc
Nice ones, Andrew! Took a while until they reached you though. I see you didn't go for the croc spectators in the end. How come?
smile.gif

I've got three of those for as well. Don't own Canterbury in black though.

RE 888 vs. 808

The major difference is the 'direction' or 'location' of the chisel toe, while the width of the chisel is IMO pretty much the same. The toe box of the 808 tapers more to the middle, while the toe box of the 888 follows the banana last idea and tapers more to the inside. Naturally, the latter has got to be an easier fit, as it does not force your big toe as much towards the outside of your foot.
teacha.gif

Thanks for the clarification on the lasts, I think the 808 is my favorite of the two.

I passed on the crocs as I would never wear them, and as such, should probably leave them for someone who would.

I must say it felt oddly subversive buying the black shoes.
smile.gif

sysdoc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I must say it felt oddly subversive buying the black shoes.
smile.gif

I think I've got 20 pairs of black shoes
eek.gif
(some EG, mostly JL and a few Vass), but here at SF we tend to make a secret out of them. I do admit, however, that I really don't wear them much at all. Real shoe aficionados at SF are not meant to even contemplate black shoes. Ain't that part of the old Mantonian doctrine? The recent survey shows that the majority of the SF regulars is still holding black shoes in high regard. No reason to feel funny, Andrew!
wink.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Andrew, is it just me, or is that Burnt Pine on the light side? Did you specify them that way?

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Doesn't the stock Chelsea come with a punched cap, or were these a special order?

I love the Canterbury - the Canterbury in burgundy on the 888, and the Walcot in Dark Oak on the 888 are on my EG wish list.

Could you please post a pic of EGs cognac suede if you have a pair?

Thanks,

Panzer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads