• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Patagonia......

gabby11303

Reaction score
I saw another member had this patagonia and I really liked it:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...=23055-723&ws=

Turns out it's $185 new. My experience with some jackets like that in the past is that they look like crap after a year or so of wear. Is this a brand that will hold up well over time with regular wear? This is my problem with spending that much money on any piece of clothing.

Thanks

huy

Reaction score
Patagonia is a great brand. Their clothes are very well made and will last for years. I have two jackets myself and would always buy it over the north face. I bought my jackets when they had their annual sale for about 40% off.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
I own this jacket in another color. I wish I got that off-white color instead.

Don't wash it too often (and when you do, use something like Nikwax Tech Wash). The large pile on the retro-x jacket means that it retains its general appearance and quality over time. It's very warm -- probably the warmest fleece jacket I've ever worn, even three years later -- but my only problem with it is the lack of a cinch-drawstring at the bottom.

Their clothes are well-made and intended to be used in rigorous, harsh outdoors conditions. It'll last.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
Patagonia is a great brand. Their clothes are very well made and will last for years. I have two jackets myself and would always buy it over the north face. I bought my jackets when they had their annual sale for about 40% off.

I love their cause, I just wish it was more stylish and formal. It reaks of "I don't care about looking refined" IMO.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
It seems expensive for what it is. I'm sure LL Bean/Lands End have comparable and cheaper options. That said you could probably find it on sale at the end of the season at REI if you want to wait that long.

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones
I love their cause, I just wish it was more stylish and formal. It reaks of "I don't care about looking refined" IMO.
I agree, they are a great company that really cares about the environment. Why would you want outdoor clothing to be more formal? I suppose their casual clothing could be more stylish, but I am sure that most of their customers could care less.

emptym

Reaction score
I have the earlier version of that jacket. Bought it 16 yrs ago. It was my only cold-weather jacket for about 8 years. Held up great. Still have it. Still looks new. Their fabrics in general tend to look good for longer than other brands, incl. those mentioned above, ime.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clubbyjones

. . . and that i have so much money that i can blow it on $85 fleeces. amongst the fratty types its a status item.

fratstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
. . . and that i have so much money that i can blow it on $85 fleeces. amongst the fratty types its a status item.

Its frat-tastic. Pair with vineyard vines shorts for maximum effect.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I had an internship with Patagonia back in 96, I still have a couple of the fleeces I picked up then, in my opinion they hold up far better than their competitors products. As for price when you dissect their manufacturing and recycling processes to make a garment you'll think it's cheap in comparison to a $200 Made In China shirt from The Barney's Co-op.
Originally Posted by Teger
It seems expensive for what it is. I'm sure LL Bean/Lands End have comparable and cheaper options.
Sure, if your ok with a China Baby QC'ing your bargain fleece.

jonsan

Reaction score
If you haven't tried one on yet, this particular piece (as well as most of what Patagonia makes) is sized very generously for layering. You can probably size down unless you are tall in which case arm length can become an issue. I have this from a couple of seasons back that is considerably slimmer, still has the windproof barrier, but doesn't have the high-pile retro vibe (and costs more):

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/prod...=36101-692&ws=

If you have your sizing down, there are usually several new ones on Ebay for a good price. I agree with previous posters that Patagonia stuff is well made and will last a very long time.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patagonia stuff is great. i bought a bunch of their stuff back when i was still able to get outdoors. wearing one of their classic fleece sweatshirts right now in fact. quality is top notch and like another poster mentioned, Patagonia > TNF.

i've got a retro-x cardigan that i bought wow, maybe 10 years ago and like the other poster mentioned, it looks brand new and is super warm.

if you can wait though, i'd shop near season's end for the best deals or you can try visiting one of their outlet stores if you're in the neighborhood. the ones i know of are Real Cheap Sports in Ventura and the Patagonia Outlet in Reno,NV.

-Jeff

darkoak

Reaction score
I've had mine for 15 years, wore it everywhere when I was in school. Very warm, wind resistant, still looks great after all these years. If you can afford $185, it's a great investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads