• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This one would have your counsel: It's time to grow up...or is it?

Amelorn

Reaction score
I was kicking about the archives of a forum called flyertalk, where frequent flyer program and airline business enthusiasts congregate. I fall into the latter category as it's really quite an interesting industry. I had come across an interesting discussion on dress in premium cabins, that is J/business and F/first. Both sides were championed by guys in their early to mid twenties, so at 22, I was interested in the diverging opinions of my demographic. One argued for "business casual" of "dockers and a polo." The other young guy's opposing argument amounted to: A) Dockers are ****** (I agree, their fit and quality are horrors) B) "If I'm in my 20's flying paid F, do I have the right to look down on your as inferior for being an inconsequential corporate drone flying on the company dime and trying to "dress for success?" C) I paid for an international F ticket, I'll wear what I bloody well will." A snide, though insightful, trust fund kid would be my best bet. In any case...

#1 shoots back with this picture, highlighting that the khakis/polo look can be stylish:

I had to laugh when I read #2's reply: "...it's how villains in 80's college movies dress and modern day wannabe fratstars who are overcompensating."

Some good points were raised. I'm not a jeans person, but an "off brand polo and ill-fitting dockers" are the height of tedium right with generic Wal-Mart jeans and old t-shirt (for any SW&D fellows with us today). However, if the preppy look goes too far, you go to the picture there or worse yet, a Rugby Ralph Lauren photo shoot. Especially in the latter's case, there is being classic and preppy, then bold and preppy, and then there's being a bloody stereotype out of the era ushered in by The Official Preppy Handbook. Having said that, I am facing graduation this June, a little Eurotrip with my grandparents, and then life thereafter.

How would you guys suggest balancing an older sobriety with youthful color, while keeping the fit indicative of my position on the right side of 40 and the 200 pound mark? ;) IE, how does that "preppy collegiate" look grow up without becoming the soulless, failed marriage of Izod & dockers? It's important to note that I'm planning to head off to Australia (Brisbane) for a couple beginning in July. Even with the "winter" there, wardrobe recommendations should bear in mind year-round spring/summer temperatures. As for budget...I'll put it this way, I have a worthwhile inheritance (with a commensurate high cost there) , but $300 per pop trousers and shirts are out of the question. I'm still very price conscious.

BTW, I had this linen sport coat in mind for the graduation garden parties and to "class up" summer in Europe (rather than the usual yank tourist: http://theflyingguillotine.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/typicalamericans.jpg. Any thoughts? http://www.lordandtaylor.com/eng/Men-SportcoatsBlazers-Linen_Blazer-lordandtaylor/212221 I am not sure if blue or tan would be more versatile.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this thread about? :confused:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You lost me here. Are you asking specifically about dressing for a business/first class flight? Or are you talking about age/class appropriate dress in general?

In the first case, if you're not getting off of the plane and going straight to business, dress for comfort. This is particularly key for transoceanic flights (9+ hours). If I have to go straight to work, I shower and change at the arrivals lounge. For shorter domestic flights, I wear a travel suit.

In the latter case, you have more flexibility in your 20s. Express yourself, but coordinate your colors/fabrics.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
preppy collegiate is not appropriate for someone in his 40's.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not for a Harvard man.

You think? Advertising the university you went to years ago is pretty sad IMHO. But this is probably a cultural thing. I know Americans seem to do this, the way I was brought up, it isn't something you publicize - even if you are, as I was, the first person in my family ever to go to university.

Anyway, to get back to the OP to which my answer is: really, who cares?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
:laugh:

You guys really crack me up sometimes.

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You think? Advertising the university you went to years ago is pretty sad IMHO. But this is probably a cultural thing. I know Americans seem to do this, the way I was brought up, it isn't something you publicize - even if you are, as I was, the first person in my family ever to go to university.

Poking fun at Harvard, I was- as I do now by pointing out all the advertising the English do with their club ties.

Much more subtle, I give you. But if you know the code, just as glaring?

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poking fun at Harvard, I was- as I do now by pointing out all the advertising the English do with their club ties.
Much more subtle, I give you. But if you know the code, just as glaring?

I'm sure! But then I don't do the club tie thing either. And sorry, sarcasm and irony are hard to detect online especially when you're not looking for them - and given that this is a predominantly North American site, I'm generally not!
smile.gif

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am enjoying this immensely. Please continue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads