• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This one is for Tokyo Slim: Mac vs PC - rematch

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

Note the stab at "expensive worn jeans"

http://www.adjab.com/2006/07/12/funny-mac-vs-pc-spoof/

Brian SD

Reaction score
That's pretty funny.

I like those commercials (the originals) because I think the PC guy has an endearing personality. I like the way he says "Pie charts."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Reading this the other day... commented to J about it. Pretty dead on as far as WTF is Apple thinking? Pretty poorly put together campaign in my opinion.

http://www.slate.com/id/2143810/

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Reading this the other day... commented to J about it. Pretty dead on as far as WTF is Apple thinking? Pretty poorly put together campaign in my opinion.

http://www.slate.com/id/2143810/

That article is right on. The idea and the execution were great, but they make the Mac look like a pretentious little asshole, and the PC guy is funny and would probably be a good friend.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
That article is right on. The idea and the execution were great, but they make the Mac look like a pretentious little asshole, and the PC guy is funny and would probably be a good friend.
Exactly... the analogy is bad for their business because it is completely accurate.
smile.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Exactly... the analogy is bad for their business because it is completely accurate.

smile.gif

laugh.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the campaign is ironic when you consider one of their slogans back in the '80s was 'the computer for the rest of us'.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faustian bargain
the campaign is ironic when you consider one of their slogans back in the '80s was 'the computer for the rest of us'.

Yep. They took the niche that Atari ST, Amiga, Acorn Archimedes, SGI, Sun et.c. had in the 1980's & early 1990's, as in computers for video work, designers, musicians et.c. Nowadays where from a hardware perspective Apple is the only player left that is a little different, they latched on to that market. It is rather weird. Before OS X the operating system was a joke, frankly that was the best move Apple had done in 15 years.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my girlfriend a couple days ago. She tells me about a former coworker (graphic designer) who just started her new job at a new design firm.

Her: "Heather just told me that they use PC's at her new job, can you believe that?".

Me: "Yes".

Her: "But how can they do that? How can they use PC's to do design work?"

Me: "About 6 or 7 years ago, due to market share and other drivers, all the major Apple-unique software worth using was ported over to the PC. Since then, Apple has started to change their focus to be just regular home users, not creative professionals."

Her: "But she has to work on a PC, that totally sucks"

Me: "Apple did a good job engraining in the creative pro's that they require a Mac to do their work, but really, its more cost effective to use PC's especially in the workplace where you need more functionality and managment. Hell, even Apple started to realize this and switched over to PC hardware."

Her: "Whatever, I hope I never have to use a PC"

Of course, she is not a graphic designer, she uses Microsoft Word and Firefox on her Mac... thats it. These conversations come up every month or so when they are having problems at her office. She works in a Mac only shop, and they have countless issues due to the lack of enterprise level software and hardware. It is really quite funny, the entire place is so dead set against PC; however, they are stuck in 1999 with their email/webmail and security and webservers and filesharing and collaboration and planning/scheduling and actually... everything since they must use only Mac hardware and software. But hey, it looks nice.

I must confess that I like Macs, and I'll probably buy one for me and another for her to replace her old Titanium, but never to be used in a business at the enterprise level.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my girlfriend a couple days ago. She tells me about a former coworker (graphic designer) who just started her new job at a new design firm.

Her: "Heather just told me that they use PC's at her new job, can you believe that?".

Me: "About 6 or 7 years ago, due to market share and other drivers, all the major Apple-unique software worth using was ported over to the PC. Since then, Apple has started to change their focus to be just regular home users, not creative professionals."

Me: "Apple did a good job engraining in the creative pro's that they require a Mac to do their work, but really, its more cost effective to use PC's especially in the workplace where you need more functionality and managment. Hell, even Apple started to realize this and switched over to PC hardware."

Of course, she is not a graphic designer, she uses Microsoft Word and Firefox on her Mac... thats it. These conversations come up every month or so when they are having problems at her office. She works in a Mac only shop, and they have countless issues due to the lack of enterprise level software and hardware. It is really quite funny, the entire place is so dead set against PC; however, they are stuck in 1999 with their email/webmail and security and webservers and filesharing and collaboration and planning/scheduling and actually... everything since they must use only Mac hardware and software. But hey, it looks nice.

I must confess that I like Macs, and I'll probably buy one for me and another for her to replace her old Titanium, but never to be used in a business at the enterprise level.

Ha... GREAT story!

Brian SD

Reaction score

Thankfully I've never in my life heard of a graphic design firm that uses PCs. Hopefully I won't end up in the same boat. All of the software I use for design is available on the PC, but Windows is horribly inconducive to the design environment. It is a hassle and an annoyance to work on a Windows machine to do graphic design, and the results have been vastly different for me: how it operates causes my work that comes off of the Mac much more artistic and design-y, and stuff that comes off the PC stale and word-documenty. Of course the difference to me is drastic, but the difference to someone else might just get a shrug.

Even though Mac has shifted their marketing focus to normal dudes and ladies looking for a solid compy, they still remain the only choice for serious creative pros.

Babar

Reaction score
For most small businesses, it's probably a little cheaper and easier to manage Macs, but the user experience is just much better. Windows has to be compatible with all PC configurations and peripherals out there, and apps that date back to the Reagan era has to run natively, which means that the user experience and ease of use has always taken a back seat. Developers don't have to follow strict interface guidelines on Windows, for example. And Apple has actually used 'PC hardware' since the early 90's. It's really the OS that's Apple's crown jewel.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
All of the software I use for design is available on the PC, but Windows is horribly inconducive to the design environment. It is a hassle and an annoyance to work on a Windows machine to do graphic design
Could you give some examples of how Windows is horribly inconducive to the design environment?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads