• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

this months Robb Report

seanandnik

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you read the Robb Report, but it is really worth getting this month, there is a large (6 pages?) feature on Spring fashions with a lot's of linen and lots of RLPL, Barbera, Kiton, and more then to make it even better there is a whole section on shoes. Tod's , Lobb, It really is the best clothing writinng I have seen in a while and I just came upon it by chance. So go out and get the new Robb report.

Jill

Reaction score
What is the Robb Report?  So many sellers quote it...is it like the Entertainment Weekly of luxury goods consumption?

LOL.  Yes, that is essentially what it is.  But it's a Monthly.  By their own definition, it is, a magazine "for the Luxury Lifestyle".  

Mine just came yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to open it yet. . . OK, looking now. . .

Does anyone find the idea of corduroy blazers and suede jackets a bit UN-seasonal for spring?  I'm hoping when I read  (pg 110) "Luciano Moresco yellow cotton twill Capri pants" that they're refering to the island off the Amalfi Coast, and not those little clam digger-style "pants" that ladies wear??..  

Love those P Zero by Pirelli cycling shoes (pg 108), but it reminds me that I need to order new tires.  Yikes. Was happy, now sad.

Thanx for the heads up.

Esquire has an interesting series of menswear articles this month also.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys, I will check out the issue.

PHV

Reaction score
What is the Robb Report?  So many sellers quote it...is it like the Entertainment Weekly of luxury goods consumption?
Robb report is most often a gaudy littany of all sorts of high priced products and real estate that 99% of the people I see reading them cannot afford. Every now and then I've seen tasteful advertisements, but a lot of it is just bling bling... rappers talk about it in their songs now. That's when you know it's over.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhm... given that Jill mentioned reading the article do I need to go tell her she's a prick... now is that nice? She doesn't read it though, just looks at the pictures. Kinda like the reverse of me with Playboy where I hide the pictures and enjoy the fine literary extravaganza.

Lighten up fellas. remember, ALL blanket statements are ALWAYS ridiculous and NEVER have ANY merit.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robb report is most often a gaudy littany of all sorts of high priced products and real estate that 99% of the people I see reading them cannot afford.
Having very good friends who advertised in there on my advice, I cannot tell you how embarrasing it was that they did not make even one sale. Not one in six months worth of advertising.

PHV - you hit it right on the head.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Robb Report = strictly for pricks, either rich or aspiring to be. Very Trump classy. Sorry, that's just the truth.
Yeah, LA Guy is 100% right. I will admit that in my younger youth (still in my youth now
biggrin.gif
) I had a subscription to the magazine and it was an interesting foray into a new world of products and companies that I had never heard of, but other than as a gateway magazine for those that lack any knowledge of that which we on the forum generally consider to be rudimentary, it does not serve any positive purpose. Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll edit to "anyone who reads Robb Report for other than professional reasons and takes it seriously". I probably couldn't even figure out the safety on any gun, and would hate to get shot dead, even by a a beautiful and gracious woman.

Besides, I am cranky tonight. Saturday night, writing a manuscript, fiancee on other side of continent. If you think that my comments on this thread were cantankerous though, you should read my post in defense of our resident shirt expert in ernest's latest thread. So... Alex should forgive me for implying that his friends' Robb Report referenced clients may well be upperclass twits.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LA - Jill forgives you and sends a kiss. I'm a cranky bastard when she is not around too :)

...ever since your smartass remark sticking me with taking you both to dinner at some damned Chez place where I'll need Ernest to translate the menu and my accountant to translate the bill she has developed a warm spot in her heart for you.

Hang in there bro, Grad School eventually ends.

uriahheep

Reaction score
I occasionally thumb through an issue of Robb Report. Though they sometimes do a decent job of covering somewhat obscure topics superficially, once they make an attempt to delve deeper they have a tendency to write absolute sh.t. Some friends of mine who are Forbes subscribers read the FYI section and just think, here's some neat stuff I'll probably never need or be able to afford and just laugh at it. They tend to be middle-management, brand-name-MBA-program grads working in consulting or accounting/auditing. Robb Report subscribers seem to more often actually want things featured in RR articles. How many can really afford what's in there? Chances are if they can, they'll already have much of what's in the magazine and no time to read RR or play with their toys. RR screams "nouveau riche." I am neither riche nor nouveau.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find the idea of corduroy blazers and suede jackets a bit UN-seasonal for spring?
Jill,

I tried on a springweight corduroy sportcoat by Ermenegildo Zegna a couple weeks ago.  It had a wonderful, light feel, much like a pair of corduroy slacks I picked up from the San Francisco Salvatore Ferragamo boutique.  Perfect for spring, even for most of summer, and the summers here in Indiana are quite hot.  When sheer enough, cotton pants and jackets make sense for these seasons, and the corduroy is merely a texture.  Note that the wale on both items I mention is quite thin; this lent to the visual effect of a warm weather garment, whereas if the wale had been broad, I think it would have made the fabric look more like something for cold weather.  That aside, I do not read this report.  Can you describe the pictures of corduroy there?

As for the suede jackets, I have an example of a springweight suede shirt jacket by Seraphin, a Russian designer who makes leather coats in Paris.  It is light-colored, unlined, incredibly thin, surely appropriate for the spring; still, in Indiana that makes for a very short wearing season.

John

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, I finished about a year and a half ago.  I'm at Harvard doing a postdoc.  Only reason I left California for the cold.  Looking for tenure track positions right now.  Little stressful.  Know of any openings at MIT or an Ivy?

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fok - Hmmm... I know some guys who toss 7 years of school and three degrees to become designers - you really wanna ask me for advice on this subject? That would be like asking Kabbaz to be our ambassador to France.

PHV

Reaction score
Actually, I finished about a year and a half ago. Â I'm at Harvard doing a postdoc. Â Only reason I left California for the cold. Â Looking for tenure track positions right now. Â Little stressful. Â Know of any openings at MIT or an Ivy?
It's so funny that many of the nation's bright spark PHDs are some of the most unemployable people on earth. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to try and get a position in that rat race.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads