• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This may be a very dumb question. but ... how many Italian Designers are out there?

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
How many Italian Clothing Designers are out there?

I know the more famous ones... but, I know there are alot of lesser-known ones...

Would you folks kindly give me names of lesser known ones?

Thanks a million,

Chris.

I sure hell have WAYS to go before I know 'em all...

So, help is greatly appreciated!

cool.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Italy, Billions and Billions go unnamed
wink.gif

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
How many Italian Clothing Designers are out there?

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72

I do not know where you got that number from, clearly there is only, I mean only, no chance of any more then 6389!!!!

I refuse to even entertain any ideas to anything but that number
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something like 90% of all Italian businesses (not just clothing; all...) employ less than 10 people. This is partly a function of the family-business culture (no, not that family business) and partly a function of tax and labor laws (I won't bore you with the details).

In other words, there are tens of thousands of them. Tons. In Italy last month, I bought a nice linen suit from a company I had never heard of. They have, AFAICT, a single shop in a small town in Emilia-Romagna, and they make, according to the propietor, all their own suits and shirts. Interesting stuff too; original. I just got the suit back from alterations and am looking forward to trying it in this heat wave this week.

EDIT: On the same trip, I picked up a suit from a shop in Rome that was having a going-out-of-business sale. Loro Piana Super 130s wool, fully canvased, some handwork, but labeled with the house brand and so going for a song. To me, these are the interesting places to shop in Italy. Phenomenal quality, interesting clothes--and you're not paying for the marketing budget when you check out.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
I do not know where you got that number from, clearly there is only, I mean only, no chance of any more then 6389!!!!

I refuse to even entertain any ideas to anything but that number
smile.gif

6451: I have it on good authority; down from 6452 after an unfortunate dispute about bias cut of a jacket lining between two indies in a Roma suburb last Wednesday. Heard no updates since.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
6451: I have it on good authority; down from 6452 after an unfortunate dispute about bias cut of a jacket lining between two indies in a Roma suburb last Wednesday. Heard no updates since.
I hope you guys are all counting Sergio Georgini.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
soph, i think you may exaggerate a bit. i happen to know that there are at least 28,642 but then the design schools and the apprentice program turns out about 1600 more every year.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sadly there are none since the unfortunate demise of Sergio Bologna a few years ago!

RIP Bologna

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads