1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

This just really angers me

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jul 23, 2004.

1. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

"Knew to Zegna, Poo Poo head, Rmdber..." I am Crying from Laughter from the last Bunch of posts. [​IMG] Â [​IMG] Â [​IMG] .

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Again, my plea. Can we please publicize the website, if just for this express purpose? A google ad so that the site pops up first under searches for "mens clothing discussions", "Ebay frauds", "Ebay men's clothing" of something like that would probably suffice for the time being. Either that, or this will continue, and I'll become rich, rich, rich I say.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

That's actually a cool idea, LA Guy. Though I know there would be a lot of objections to such advertising.

By the way, I actually think that Brandmaniac is making a lot of money. His current auctions seem to be averaging around $275 - $300. That's gotta be some decent percentage of profit per suit.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

LA Guy, it's actually not bad, so long as you don't try to be deceptive in your description. A friend of mine and I went to a few thrift stores, spent $50 on a pile of suits from the 80s, mostly by Boss and Armani, steamed them, sold them on eBay and came out with a $300 profit in total. Not bad... most of the auctions ended at about $80 - 90, with us having paid under $10 for each suit.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, hardly anyone becomes rich by being honest. Or maybe that's just my left-leaning tendencies rearing there ugly heads. So their. POO-POO head.

...need to take the Ritalin... now.

6. johnnynorman3

SD, I agree that there is a market out there for true consignment. I recently sold two of my old suits that were a few years old but had hardly been worn. But I made it crystal clear that they were used.

7. johnnynorman3

I'm changing my handle to Poo Poo Head.

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

Brian, with all the mailing, etc., that sounds like alot of work for $300.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

It took probably 5 or 6 hours of total work to do the whole thing. The suits were in near perfect condition when we bought them, the descriptions and photos took maybe 1 hour in total, and I did all the mailing within a 3-day period, and it was really quite easy with how automated eBay is. $300 for 5 or 6 hours of work would be quite a raise for me in my horrid work position [​IMG]

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

(Ow, this floor is hard...)

Jon.

11. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Why not do something independent of the forum for this purpose, like start a website or create a communal e-mail account to contact bidders?

And Brian makes a good point in that while monitoring the frauds and deceptive sellers, we shouldn't be knee jerk everytime someone overpays, but I think there is a pretty recognizable difference between making a profit and being deceptive.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

There is already a community for protection against fake Louis Vuittons. MyPoupette I believe.

They have certified sellers that have to meet certain prerequisites, etc.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dear God.

Simply marvelous grammar, and spelling.

14. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

I also penned a note to him, and am considering reporting him to the Ebay authorities for misrepresenting his merchandise.

koji

15. My View

My View Senior member

I have a few suits made from Zegna fabrics by my trusty local tailor. The label reads "Cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna" and the whole suit is lined with original lining supplied by the fabrics maker which also reads "Cloth by Ermenegildo Zegna". So they do have labels in English for the non-Italian speaking world.