• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is why you snipe

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christ, it's why you avoid eBay altogether. Well, that and the surfeit of fakes and the unscrupulous cads who try and pass old rags as "near mint."

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The winner ended up paying Plal's list price for shoes that aren't quite C&J Handgrade quality. Not a particularly great deal.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funniest thing was that someone set a snipe for $5.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
The winner ended up paying Plal's list price for shoes that aren't quite C&J Handgrade quality. Not a particularly great deal.
Considering the 0 feedbacks, it's reasonably likely that there was no winner.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not over yet so the bid can go to $1,000!!. These new ebayers are most likely jerks that just like to putz around on auctions and never have any intention of paying. I've had a couple of those asswipes on my auctions and now I just immediately cancel their bids when I see them. I guy I work with told me his teenage son had a friend over one day and the dad sees the friend on the computer on ebay. The dad see the friend bidding on a couple of auctions for things he knew the friend was not going to buy (a car, a fur coat, a watch). The dad confronted the kid and asked what he was doing. The kid replied that when he was bored, he liked going on ebay, setting up new accounts and just bidding crazy amounts on random auctions. He said he thought it funny when someone thought they had sold an item for a large amount of money only to later find that the purchaser is non-existent. The dad immediately shut the computer down.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There has been an absolute rash of newly registered, 0 feedback international bidders lately, that buy high end stuff and never pay. It's driving me nuts. Plus it harms legit customers. I had a Japanese gentleman buy a pair of Weston's from me. I didn't hear from him for a few days, figured he was one of the deadbeats, and relisted the shoes. They sold immediately. Turns out he was a legitimate and very nice customer that was simply having trouble completing the paypal payment. I felt bad for him!!! It was a lose-lose situation.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got screwed by some of that a couple weeks ago, myself. It is some maddening.

mussel

Reaction score
Is there any setting you can choose on eBay to prevent zero-feedbackers from bidding?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can only set it to prevent negative bidders bidding, which sucks

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
You can only set it to prevent negative bidders bidding, which sucks

My guess is that eBay did that intentionally, attracting new customers et.c.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads