1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

This is why you snipe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dare-, May 22, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

The Sanity Assassin...

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Christ, it's why you avoid eBay altogether. Well, that and the surfeit of fakes and the unscrupulous cads who try and pass old rags as "near mint."

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

The winner ended up paying Plal's list price for shoes that aren't quite C&J Handgrade quality. Not a particularly great deal.

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

Funniest thing was that someone set a snipe for $5.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

This seems like one of those people who bid and don't pay.

6. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I enjoy all the zero and one feedbacks in this bidding war.

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

The winner ended up paying Plal's list price for shoes that aren't quite C&J Handgrade quality. Not a particularly great deal.
    Considering the 0 feedbacks, it's reasonably likely that there was no winner.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's not over yet so the bid can go to $1,000!!. These new ebayers are most likely jerks that just like to putz around on auctions and never have any intention of paying. I've had a couple of those asswipes on my auctions and now I just immediately cancel their bids when I see them. I guy I work with told me his teenage son had a friend over one day and the dad sees the friend on the computer on ebay. The dad see the friend bidding on a couple of auctions for things he knew the friend was not going to buy (a car, a fur coat, a watch). The dad confronted the kid and asked what he was doing. The kid replied that when he was bored, he liked going on ebay, setting up new accounts and just bidding crazy amounts on random auctions. He said he thought it funny when someone thought they had sold an item for a large amount of money only to later find that the purchaser is non-existent. The dad immediately shut the computer down.

9. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

There has been an absolute rash of newly registered, 0 feedback international bidders lately, that buy high end stuff and never pay. It's driving me nuts. Plus it harms legit customers. I had a Japanese gentleman buy a pair of Weston's from me. I didn't hear from him for a few days, figured he was one of the deadbeats, and relisted the shoes. They sold immediately. Turns out he was a legitimate and very nice customer that was simply having trouble completing the paypal payment. I felt bad for him!!! It was a lose-lose situation.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I got screwed by some of that a couple weeks ago, myself. It is some maddening.

11. mussel

mussel Senior member

Is there any setting you can choose on eBay to prevent zero-feedbackers from bidding?

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

You can only set it to prevent negative bidders bidding, which sucks

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

You can only set it to prevent negative bidders bidding, which sucks

My guess is that eBay did that intentionally, attracting new customers et.c.

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

The other day I got a bunch of questions on one of my items from somebody with an account with a user name "qwezgzds" (or some other random group of letteers) that was basically some kind of advertisement or something. WTF is going on with ebay.

16. Matt

Matt Senior member

My guess is that eBay did that intentionally, attracting new customers et.c.
    its a tough call though - all of us here were zero feedbackers once - someone let us buy, and we became one positive feedbackers. One of the underlying tenets of eBay is that people are basically honest, and its nice to think that, so I guess it is fair to assume people are well intentioned than assume malice by blocking out new people. Still sucks to get screwed over though.

17. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This will never happen, but maybe eBay should require everyone to deposit $50 in an escrow account when they sign up. That would cut down on fraudulent bidders.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Doesn't eBay require a credit card to sign up for new accounts?

19. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Is there any setting you can choose on eBay to prevent zero-feedbackers from bidding?

I was a zero-feedbacker at one point.