1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

This is the job I want...how do I get it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MetroStyles, Aug 12, 2009.

1. djs488

djs488 Senior member

+1 on private wealth management.

I am a college student at UPenn but I interned in the ultra-high net worth office for a major private bank one summer. I decided it wasn't for me, but I frequently suggest it to my Wharton brethren who are looking for a more social workplace and don't have too large an ego to not work for a bulge bracket iBank or in PE.

Every wealth management group (usually about half a dozen people) included a lawyer and a few qualified traders who mostly just shot the shit with clients all day and frequently went golfing. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the individual groups were pretty autonomous with respect to the bank for which they worked. I would consider it because your take home pay is very correlated with your own sales prowess and performance and the clients you'd be interacting with are very, very interesting people. Hours are very reasonable.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

medical device sales is what I'm trying to break into. It's still work but it sounds to be a pretty good job.

+1. capital equipment sales, medical devices, telecommuniations, industrial capital equipment, transportation capital equipment. essentially, anything that involves 3 or more decision makers and >100 k per PO.

3. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Wow, I'm shocked at the love Commercial RE is getting. Being a broker or RE IBanker really isn't sexy work at all, especially if you're under 30-32. I spend most of my time talking to those shmucks and by and large they hate their lives - someone mentioned you don't start earning until mid-40's and that's definitely true of Commercial RE sales. The guys who are MD's at the Eastdils, CBRE's, and HFF's of the world wine and dine and used to make bank, but they're almost all exclusively 40+ year old sycophantic sociopaths.

4. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Development for a university might work. You wouldn't make that much money though. At least I hope not. You could get free tuition for grad school though. Might be a good option for a few years.

5. Laffertron

Laffertron Senior member

+1. capital equipment sales, medical devices, telecommuniations, industrial capital equipment, transportation capital equipment. essentially, anything that involves 3 or more decision makers and >100 k per PO.

Spot on. The easiest way I know to get to this situation is enterprise sales executive. You might each shit for a couple of years learning the ropes but once you're looking after a couple of larger accounts you can absolutely kill it. If you're 21 you can easily get there before you're 30.

Life might seem easy once you get to that level but you're going to have to work pretty hard to get there, so don't be afraid of a bit of stress/pressure.

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

A while ago I probably could have given you an in to Private Banking, but many of the leads to the business have dried up. Otherwise I'd be there myself [​IMG]