• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is how you rock a cardigan

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This cardigan in camel is AWESOME. I tried it on yesterday at APC. I'm going back to buy it, plus a pair of jeans this week. The cardigan is the new blazer. Wearing your pinstripe suit jacket over jeans is OUT (never was in if you ask me). I like this one over a plain, white t-shirt or v-neck.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the shawl collar, but poly blend???
I was actually surprised when I read that on the website, because when I had it on, it felt great.

Though I like this one, RL did have a better cardigan this past fall (I can't find it anymore). It was in 100% wool... felt soft and thick.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, but it's a frekin' cardigan (the most "old man" of all clothing items)... Plus I thought I'd show those stodgy old farts (
wink.gif
) in Clothing how exactly to "ROCK" a cardigan, since someone asked last week.

Brian SD

Reaction score
It's very nice looking. Unconventional materials arent necessarily a bad thing to me, and I'm curious to see how this looks in real life. I never have a chance to try on any APC stuff before I buy it.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the RL version referred to? http://www.polo.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1882046 It's on sale. Can't figure out the leather neck strap, though. I do like the style of the APC, but the poly really throws me. Not to mention the fact that winter is over and therefore it really ought to be on sale, too.
The version I was refering to didn't have the neck strap, but it did have the same styling otherwise. I liked it in navy. The neck strap is actually a cool feature when undone. As for the APC model, the material was definitely air-spun, spring weight. It is part of thier spring collection.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it going to work with the cardigan being the new blazer? I can easily throw a blazer on top of anything in the summer, but I don't know about cardigans in the heat...

K

colin

Reaction score
Well I was the one who posed the original question of how to rock a (black RLPL) cardigan and ive decided its best with a dark undistressed pair of jeans, slim. As for underneath, a white undershirt or a blue and white striped **** works best. Also, i like to only do the bottom 2 buttons so it's less cardigany and could just be a button-up sweater.
As rocking as that is, its not the new blazer, its popular to say something is the new something but really they're both what they are and let's leave it at that.

boston

Reaction score
ho ho.

Using the words "rock" and "cardigan" in the same sentence is hysterical.

Shawl collared cardigans are so soft, curvy, and baggy that they remove all definition and structure from the body. It's like dressing up in a plush toy. OK, I guess, if you are 60, but it also, not feminizes, neutralizes.

-boston

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I've seen that cardigan, and it goes to show that cut is everything. I doubt that it (the cardigan) would fit most 65 year old guys. It is quite slim fitting and relatively short (surprising, since APC tends to cut things long.) You could also wear the shawl collar up - Dior Homme style. I only have one cardigan, an oversized Cloak hooded one with antiqued crest buttons from F/W 2002/2003 - much more Morrissey than Mr. Rogers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads