• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is how you buy the right pair. Do you agree?

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems regardless what people say(these jeans don't stretch much), it is always the case that jeans are stretching on people. I have decided from now on i will buy jeans that require the use of all my strength to button because if not, they end up being loose at the waist. It is always the case that i buy a pair that are somewhat tight when buttoned but then they loosen up and i get that fold over in the back area because i am retightening the waist(so goddamn annoying). Do you guys agree with cutting off the circulation for the first day?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not me. I buy what fits. Can't say I'm big on the whole skinny jeans thing though.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Some don't stretch, some even shrink. I wouldn't buy anything I could barely button.

sam_tem

Reaction score
i go for a snug fit knowing that they will stretch without washing

anything loose will be too much for me after wearing, but i don't buy anything that i can't comfortably button up to begin with either

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
It seems regardless what people say(these jeans don't stretch much), it is always the case that jeans are stretching on people. I have decided from now on i will buy jeans that require the use of all my strength to button because if not, they end up being loose at the waist. It is always the case that i buy a pair that are somewhat tight when buttoned but then they loosen up and i get that fold over in the back area because i am retightening the waist(so goddamn annoying). Do you guys agree with cutting off the circulation for the first day?

as everyone has said some jeans stretch more then others, you need to buy from a good shop. they will have an idea of how much the jeans will stretch and whether or not you need to size down.

it's also related to the person wearing them. i'm sure someone that has an a** will stretch out my jeans differently then my flat bottomed self!

i have some jeans which have not shrunk at all, others stretch out but go back to their approximate original size after a wash, while others will never make it back to the size when i bought them!

cmrocks

Reaction score
I buy mine a bit on the snug side but not too much.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess i am just curious about levi's at the moment. Levi red skinny's seem to stretch an inch in waist size.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often will you wash?

For a pair of Levis I'll never (or rarely) wash, I'd go an inch small in the waist.

Wade M

Reaction score
I've got 3 pairs that were tight as **** to get on initially, but so far, 2 have streched 2 inches, 3rd pair is startening to loosen up now (14oz).

I'm very glad I got all of them tight when I got them.

--Wade

thoow

Reaction score
After reading some msgs on the forum, ive learned that jeans stretch, but do they ever shrink?

If they stretch, does the waist stretch a lot? I just bought a Levi's 514 waist 32, and im wondering if the waist would shrink or stretch, and about how much.

Thanks

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thoow
After reading some msgs on the forum, ive learned that jeans stretch, but do they ever shrink?

If they stretch, does the waist stretch a lot? I just bought a Levi's 514 waist 32, and im wondering if the waist would shrink or stretch, and about how much.

Thanks

Jeans will shrink in the wash, especially if it is a warm or hot wash. The unsanforized denim used for some unsanforized jeans will shrink up to 10% in length, and a little less through the waist and thighs.

I personally buy jeans that are comfortable when I first buy them. People will look back on this trend of buying jeans so tight that they hurt to put on, and make this face:
crazy.gif
and rightly conclude that people were actually suffering physically for fashion's sake. Actually, people will probably not understand this whole "my jeans stretched too much" quandry because the whole "not washing your jeans for 6 months, 1 year" thing will will also be looked back upon as bizarre.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads