• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Gucci Suit Fully-Canvassed?

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello,

I've started investing money on a suit lately. I found these Gucci on eBay. The seller mentioned that the jacket and trousers were sold separately. I want to know if anyone can tell if this suit is fully canvassed or not. I personally think that $500 is a really good deal for a Zegna made suit. Please comment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150858498118#ht_500wt_1219

I appreciate every comments.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the tag says Made in Italy. In my experience these suits are not the best quality and not made by Zegna as far as I know. The last few specimens I inspected from a similar line were all fused and I could feel no canvas in the lapels making me doubt whether it was even half canvassed.

Zegna-made Gucci suits (usually with Made in Switzerland) are consistent in quality with Zegna mainline although usually a little more pricey but you pay for brand and the style associated with that brand.

Since Gucci are a big brand name, you paid going rate. Perhaps a little than expected given it is 2nd hand.

If the suit fits well, all is not lost and do not bother too much about the level of its construction. Wear it with pride, but if you do care about quality, I would definitely start learning about what makes a good suit and what makers "make" them.

Avoid expensive eBay auctions unless you are 100% sure a suit ticks all your boxes.

Last edited:

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Caveat emptor.

I can see at least a few big problems with that suit:

- The lapels are terrible. They look like some sort of late-70s, early-80s lapels with stylistically low gorge, strange angle, width, etc. This look will be dated almost the second you take possession of the suit.

- The jacket and trousers were not originally part of a suit, but in fact, a blazer and pants that were paired together for the auction. If Gucci sold these items as suit separates that could have been paired, fine. But the photos give the impression of a slight color mismatch between the two. (Could just be the lighting in the photos, but do you want to take that chance?).

- Most likely not full canvas. Maybe half. Maybe.

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ You are correct in your stylistic observations of that suit, I did not have the heart to say it though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads