• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This Forum Has Ruined My Confidence

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HHH!!! I consider myself a good dresser, but since I've joined this forum I've started to question the style of all my outfits and am especially critical of my current shoe collection. I guess I never realized how many things I need to take into consideration when buying clothes.

Anyway, if you could please advise on the following items, I'd appreciate it...And I'm not sure if age is important or not, but I'm 19.

First of all, what types of shoes should I have in my wardrobe? Right now I have 4 pairs of sneakers (they all need to be replaced), 1 pair of black formal shoes (They are made by Donald J. Pliner, is this a good brand?) and 1 pair of brown leather boots (They are made by Maldini, is this a good brand?).

Secondly, I'm totally confused when it comes to denim. I have one pair of indigo jeans but my others are all pretty faided. Should I be wearing darker denim or does it matter?

Thirdly, blacks and greys seem to be the most popular colors this fall, is it still by stylish to wear "spring" colors once and a while?

Lastly, when wearing my pea coat, should my scarf be tucked inside the jacket or can it hang outside?

Thanks for helping me out
smile.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
youre 19 , welcome but just be forewarned that most people here are 30 and over with tastes that have become or is always conservative , and a forum that discusses more of the superlative items of clothing.

you may be wearing donald pliners, and i can say to you "no, wear john lobbs or santoni fams" but that is just a disillusionment and you should take these opinions and critiques with a grain of salt.

true, santoni fams are much better than pliners ,but if you are satisfied with the price, quality and comfort of these and enjoy wearing them, then that is very good.
but if there is a bit of dissatisfaction, sure, we can gear you to something more qualitative or buy something at a better price somewhere you did not know.
but if you are satisfied but then you get a notion that our tastes are "cornerstone standards" you would be in the wrong.

at 19 i would not care to dress like a tweed jacket super 180s, wingtip cordovan shoes, argyle socks, ascot and top hat (i dont know just making some of this up, im pretty sure it dont make sense) but to just be confident and wear smart but dont get the notion that you have to dress like us.

and another thing, yes, it is cool to ask "what is this falls colors or should i wear this with my shawl collar jacket , or is this shirt match these tie, " etc. just for good info practical info to have and also entertainment and enjoyment.

but to ask those questions because you feel you are dictated by us to wear this way or that way, dont do that.
there are a few here , that get confused and think, that black pants are bad, or it is terrible to have no quarter inch gap between your bal quarters, or what have you.
just because.
but if black pants are bad "specifically" for you for some reason, or it is bad not to have a quarter inch gap due to your arch being some cetain way, then , yes, that is practical info.

i reread and not sure if im making any sense.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
1 pair of black formal shoes (They are made by Donald J. Pliner, is this a good brand?)
Stazy,
for instance the above statement,

(im not meaning to pick o n you here, i really do welcome you and i hope you enjoy this place!
smile.gif
)

for example the above statement, if you did not own a pair of Pliners, and you ask " are they a good brand" then that is seeking info and is practical and great.

but since you already own a pair, and then you ask" is this a good brand" due to your confidence dwindling due to our pompous threads here, that is more a question or issue of wanting acceptance by a select few, us!

ferragamo studio line shoes are blasted on this forum but i had the opportunity to buy one real cheap and you know what, they have held up very well and are relatively comfortable and i receive complete satisfaction from them.
you should say, "i have a pair of Pliners and i enjoy them very much, what is the rest of you guys take on them?"
OR
" I have a pair of pliners and i find them very uncomfortable, what is your take?"
both good questions. because that is info and entertainment and enjoying each others company.

boxing[1].gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
AHHH!!! I consider myself a good dresser, but since I've joined this forum I've started to question the style of all my outfits and am especially critical of my current shoe collection. I guess I never realized how many things I need to take into consideration when buying clothes.

Anyway, if you could please advise on the following items, I'd appreciate it...And I'm not sure if age is important or not, but I'm 19.

First of all, what types of shoes should I have in my wardrobe? Right now I have 4 pairs of sneakers (they all need to be replaced), 1 pair of black formal shoes (They are made by Donald J. Pliner, is this a good brand?) and 1 pair of brown leather boots (They are made by Maldini, is this a good brand?).

Secondly, I'm totally confused when it comes to denim. I have one pair of indigo jeans but my others are all pretty faided. Should I be wearing darker denim or does it matter?

Thirdly, blacks and greys seem to be the most popular colors this fall, is it still by stylish to wear "spring" colors once and a while?

Lastly, when wearing my pea coat, should my scarf be tucked inside the jacket or can it hang outside?

Thanks for helping me out
smile.gif

im sorry ,at least i should attempt to answer your questions though, right? i was being rude above.
anyways,
1) pliner are more fashionable shoes , they are put together or glued together pretty solidly but dont know much about the comfort. i dont know anything about maldini besides i know they look ok and have an italian looking last

2)denim that is darker right now is the fashion for men, especially the heavier harder denims with a straight leg. make sure the jeans bunch up a little around your sneakers if you want the total jeans fashion look right now. dont wear the boot cuts , put them in storage, as that trend has passed.

3) black and grey are always perennial (redundant) and the in colore for this fall is 'brown' according to my stylish and pretty wife. i heard purple is as well ,but that was last fall as well.
there is no problem wearing spring colors in fall and fall colors in spring, as long as you are practically keeping warm with the clothes you have on in cold weather and not sweating in the clothes you have on in warm weather.
i do prefer to wear the fall colors, blue, brown, grey , maroon, black purple for fall and winter though. more elegant.

4)for your scarf, on a pea coat. mabe someone else can answer this, but imo i dont think either way is incorrect. if the scarf is to be inside then is the lapels of the jacket supposed to be forward a little?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I agree with what doc and diorshoe said about the pliners: if you like them and they're comfortable, then don't worry about it.
That said, I don't think they're very good shoes from a construction point of view. I've owned one pair of pliner lace-ups. I liked the style (still kind of do) and found them comfortable. But within a few months of my purchasing them them the glue holding the sole on one of the shoes gave way and I was left with a flopping trap door on the bottom of my shoe.
So, if you like the pliners, wear them for as long as they last. For the next shoe, if you're looking for good value, you can find lots of posts here identifying well-made, welted shoes that likely will look good, feel comfortable, and with proper care last you for years. Allen Edmonds is one frequently-mentioned brand that will have much more solid construction than your pliners but don't require paying the high-end prices Greens, Lobbs, or Santoni FAM's require.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
1) pliner are more fashionable shoes , they are put together or glued together pretty solidly but dont know much about the comfort.

I have a pair of Pliner deep red chelsea boots (The Jason model) that are one of my favorite pairs. These happen to be welted, not glued and have been as comfortable as slippers since day one. No break in needed. The leather is super soft full grain and the red coloring is the beesknees. Pliner gets no love around here which is understandable since they make a LOT of odd/uberfashion shoes but each season they always have at least one or two models that are quite nice looking.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
First of all, what types of shoes should I have in my wardrobe? Right now I have 4 pairs of sneakers (they all need to be replaced), 1 pair of black formal shoes
oh and another thing (sorry, just having fun here, i like this thread)

before i got into lobbs, vass, santoni fams, c&js, edward greens, etc.

i used to think like every other man out there,

ehhh, shoes are just shoes.

but now, just go window shopping and take a look at lobbs, vass, stefanobi, FAMs, etc,
you will from that point on know that shoes are more than just shoes, that they are luxurious jewels adorned on your feet so that the rest of your attire and hence wardrobe eventually revolve around to complement.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The forum definitely helps you to form your own unique style but I think a common standard of the forums is good taste: quality, craftmanship, durability, fit, great materials, and appropriate attire for occassion/weather etc.

I also think you learn to get alot more for your money, and to make you aware of what's quality versus what is marketing hype. --- This has helped immensely.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might want to ask questions about denim on the Streetwear and Denim board, but as far as the other stuff goes, don't worry about it so much if you can't really afford a lot of the brands people are talking about, that or look on the two ebay threads that post cheap items in the for sale section heh
smile.gif

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
You're nineteen - you can really wear whatever the hell you want. If you ty to dress like the members of this forum, you will be ridiculed. The most important thing is confidence

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Welcome! Read, ask questions, participate, and learn...but always make your own decisions. There really is no unanimity on the board on ANY single issue. Yes, you'll see general concenses, but we all have our own styles.

Others have answered your question about the Pliners. There are better shoes out there in roughly the same price range. Allen Edmonds can be had for excellent prices, and Aldens and some Florsheim Imperials are very nice too. Do you need to buy these? Probably not now, unless you're going to be going to an important job interview soon (then, things change quite a bit).

Until that time, stick around and enjoy!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned. The reality is probably most of us here spend too much money on clothes.

Read, learn, buy as a reasonable budget permits, and develop your own personal style. The fact that you are here is a good sign.
smile.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Welcome! Read, ask questions, participate, and learn...but always make your own decisions. There really is no unanimity on the board on ANY single issue. Yes, you'll see general concenses, but we all have our own styles.

Others have answered your question about the Pliners. There are better shoes out there in roughly the same price range. Allen Edmonds can be had for excellent prices, and Aldens and some Florsheim Imperials are very nice too. Do you need to buy these? Probably not now, unless you're going to be going to an important job interview soon (then, things change quite a bit).

Until that time, stick around and enjoy!

Yes, welcome. This forum is a great place to also learn about things within the average 19 year old's budget that are great value and quality. At 19 I am sure you will be thrifty and if you are a well-educated buyer as well you will be able to pick up great things without breaking the piggy bank. In fact you can never know too much.

If your Pliners are glued, they will need replacing fairly rapidly and you should think about the suggestions made already such as Allen Edmonds which will last you till you are close to 40. I kid you not. I'm an advocate of AEs and I think you guys in the US tend to take them too much for granted sometimes in your lust for expensive English and Italian shoes. However, AE internationally is highly regarded and sell for frightening prices in places like Germany and Japan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads