This Forum Has Ruined My Confidence

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stazy, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If you're 19, just buy cheap clothing that fits.

Fit is the most important thing, and the knowledge of it will stick with you as your body, tastes, and needs change.

Cheap clothing allows you to make relatively painless mistakes on the way to Deeper Sartorial Knowledge.

By the time you know what you like and how you like to wear it, you may even have the money to afford it [​IMG]

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

So true. This forum is a bit younger than our counterparts at Ask Andy. Actually a handful of the older members (2-3 years membership) are recent college graduates, for, among other reasons, have needed to build their wardrobe for professional purposes. Others, like myself, starve ourselves on graduate school income (or lack thereof) and snag the occasional deal whenever it presents itself.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, you're nineteen, man! You've got time! Develop your style. Watch movies, read books, go to school, go to work, check out other people's style. See what resonates. Try something new. Go thrift shopping. This forum is great for learning all kinds of things. So, stick around.

fwiw. I met Donald Pliner one time at Saks in Santa Barbara. It was a trunk show for his women's line. He was a super nice guy.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

fwiw. I met Donald Pliner one time at Saks in Santa Barbara. It was a trunk show for his women's line. He was a super nice guy.

Did you guys talk about the Mountains of Italy?

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

but then you get a notion that our tastes are "cornerstone standards" you would be in the wrong.

But they are [​IMG]

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

where the glues are always fresh?

7. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

You're nineteen - you can really wear whatever the hell you want. If you ty to dress like the members of this forum, you will be ridiculed. The most important thing is confidence
    This is silly. I've met whoopee in person and he's not that much older than 19. He successfully combines selections from this and the Streetwear Forum to get something elegant and nowhere near the ascot/top hat exaggeration.

About questions like the Donald J Pliner one, may I suggest that you slowly familiarize yourself with the better brands discussed here, but ask yourself more about value than whether some thing is "good," since the "good" things here are well out of your reach for now.

You have a lot of time to build a good wardrobe, a good deal on some classic boots or shoes here, then a sport coat and a couple of good shirts there. When you get ready to work, you can start on suits and ties.

Of course, simply changing the way you wear or combine clothes to look smarter is free.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ha! This was about 8 years ago, so I think it was pre-MOI. I think he was just starting out, before the marketeers got involved.

9. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

I also think you learn to get alot more for your money, and to make you aware of what's quality versus what is marketing hype. --- This has helped immensely.

I agree with this. I am new too and I went through your phase too Stazy.

Not to say that I am any expert, far from it and I have plenty to learn here.

At least for me, I've spent tons before joining this forum (retail of course) on things that have poor quality, construction, etc, basically crap or "not quite there" stuff. I know this now, because I joined this forum I and learned a few things about, what a good pair of shoes is, how a suit should fit, what is good value, where to buy it, for example.

Also note that as others have said here, not everyone will approve of your purchases, but if you like it and you think it looks good on you, then go for it.

Although as many will also attest, their tastes have also changed subsequent to joining this forum.

Welcome and have fun, that's what it is all about.

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Pliners are pretty expensive. Use the cash for cheap air tickets to 3rd world countries.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

This is silly. I've met whoopee in person and he's not that much older than 19. He successfully combines selections from this and the Streetwear Forum to get something elegant and nowhere near the ascot/top hat exaggeration.

About questions like the Donald J Pliner one, may I suggest that you slowly familiarize yourself with the better brands discussed here, but ask yourself more about value than whether some thing is "good," since the "good" things here are well out of your reach for now.

Of course, simply changing the way you wear or combine clothes to look smarter is free.

Another good suggestion - every single time you leave the house, post a thread on this forum asking for advice on what to wear. A few other fourm members have tried this with great success
    [​IMG]

12. Newton

Newton Senior member

Stazy, I had a similar experience a few years ago. It was quite disheartening to look at my wardrobe following some extensive advice that I received.

But look on the bright side of life. At 19, you have been the beneficiary of some fantastic advice that noone your age is really taking part in. You now know far better how to purchase good quality garments that look good on you.

Consider yourself lucky, my friend.

13. ltontheqt

ltontheqt Senior member

Stazy,
    I am a refugee from Ask Andy, so please don't find me too stodgy. Whoa, 19 and so much angst about clothing? I commend you for even caring. I'm nearly three times your age and am humbled by the knowledge on this forum and AAAC. So don't worry about living up to some ideal. At this stage, building character is more important than building a wardrobe. Some say clothes makes the man. I'd like to think the man makes the clothes. Cue the crescendo!

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

15. Leaveitothexperts

Leaveitothexperts Senior member

and the santoni fams make the clothes!

. . . trust the santoni junkee to make a statement like that . . . [​IMG]