• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This *common* fit is terrible.

AB01

Reaction score
In my opinion, but I think you'll agree this is bad. I pulled this picture off A Continuous Lean which I just discovered from another thread. I have seen this look here before. The midsection, even though not fat, looks like it bulges out.
Mike_Cohen_1.jpeg
http://www.acontinuouslean.com/wp-co...e_Cohen_1.jpeg When getting a suit tailored or bespoke how can one lean person avoid this? Is it simply button stance, overly pinched waist or what that causes this? Maybe it's the actual body like love handles or big hips. How to avoid and can something like this be fixed if something does fit like that? Why would anyone put up with a fit like that unless they have huge love handles?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Overall, this is a 2/10. The pants and jacket are, in this photo, too close in shade. The shoes (boots?) are far too rustic and the brown shade is not flattering for this outfit. Strangely, I think the jacket/vest/tie combo is the best thing about his style.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There's a guy posts regularly on WAYWRN and this is his stock in trade look but when it comes to critique he is untouchable. Go figure.

(Moo if you're reading this I apologise, this would probably qualify as a negative remark but I promise to do better in future.
smile.gif
)

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
When getting a suit tailored or bespoke how can one lean person avoid this? Is it simply button stance, overly pinched waist or what that causes this? Maybe it's the actual body like love handles or big hips. How to avoid and can something like this be fixed if something does fit like that?

It could be any of those things and/or it could be the button up sweater vest or cardigan underneath his jacket that is causing the fit issue. Hard to say unless we have a photo of him wearing the jacket sans the sweater.

Originally Posted by AB01
Why would anyone put up with a fit like that unless they have huge love handles?

Given that there's snow on the ground, he may have been more concerned about function (adding the sweater to keep warm) than he was about form (the sweater making his jacket fit like it's a little "overstuffed").

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my eyes, there is a wee bit too much pull at button point, however this may have been caused by the fact that the gent in the photo is wearing a cardigan underneath his jacket.

AB01

Reaction score
I wish I found other pictures to show online with the same effect sans sweater. It was common in WAYWT. This is not a one-time thing. I see it a lot.

tacobender

Reaction score
I am in a warm weather climate so i never have the need for anything under a suit other than a dress shirt, i can't imagine the cardigan is so thick that is causing the significant button pull. Jacket just looks to small in the mid-chest area inmo

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing you are noticing could be from many problems, as many pointed out it could be the cardigan underneath, I think though there is just too much waist suppression causing the skirt of the jacket to flair out. His posture only makes it worse, he stands strangely, and his right shoulder has like a 2" drop

NotDickDiver

Reaction score
In my eyes three things seems to stand out:
1. The gorges
2. The boots
3. His mug. He could be anything from Portoguese to Indian. Genes gone global.

vezatron

Reaction score
Lower button stance and lose the sweater and it would fit like a dream.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my navy blazers fits this way, and I'm sure I've worn a similar combo a few times. Whether Ianiceman is referring to me, only he knows, but I'm cool with criticism, and I'm also cool with the fit.

One thing I'm surprised that never gets mentioned is the overly contrasting buttons, which I think produces the same effect on my blue blazer here:

IMG_3847.jpg

(ignore the poor pant tie combo)
IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

A darker button wouldn't bring your eye to the drastic "x" as much as something more subtle would.

I don't think the guys look is awful at all though, so it may explain why I have similar ones. I think the criticism is overly picky, and somewhat a matter of taste. Some like a more pinched waist, some like more "drape". Its also a matter of photography, if you change the angle even slightly, it can look entirely different.

ktrp

Reaction score
The picture in the OPs post makes the man looked pear shaped, which is not very desireable.

NYR, I don't believe yours suffer from this, partially because the pinching is less pronounced, partially because the lower part of the jacket isn't puffing out from the waist nearly as much (if at all, depends on the pic) and partially because your shoulders/hip ratio is a lot better.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also not mentioned, the jacket length, looks short, which also adds to the pear shapedness. This would be even more exaggerated of the pants contrasted more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics