• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Suit: RTW BlazerSuit? Please advise. Windowpane inside.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
The first two suits a man should own? Easy - solid navy and solid dark grey. The third? Consensus tends to be mid grey - maybe solid, maybe pinstripe, maybe check. Refer here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...light=3rd+suit I am considering a subtle windowpane check for my third suit. Best would be a mid-grey windowpane, similar fabric to this*: http://www.austinreed.co.uk/fcp/prod...ne-Jacket/5346 My thinking is that, after swapping black/grey buttons for dark brown, I could wear the suit jacket as a separate. Alternately, I could wear the trousers separately with a solid navy or light grey blazer. Rarely would I wear them together. SF, am I nuts or savvy? Too loud:
2rrwg9c.jpg
OK:
51lV1Dm3p%2BL.jpg
Spot on (maybe a touch darker):
0119091032a.jpg
* The problem with this jacket is it's a one button peak lapel. I would go for a standard 2-button notch.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could see a grey windowpane having some use as an odd jacket. Still, for a third suit, I might branch out into three-piece or double-breasted if you don't have it. There's always the summer suit--seersucker barely dents the budget, and the jacket is endlessly adaptable.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Looking to wear in a banking setting (only sometimes client facing). Seersucker, linen or cotton are no-go. Another:
17845_527330398681_19000414_31260526_1431411_n.jpg

DandySF

Reaction score
Earlier this month I saw variations of that cotton scarf look all over Paris.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Not a lot of direction so far.

If this the same SF that spawned these threads?

The Amazing Blazer Suit: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=71198

Glen plaid BlazerSuit - Your thoughts: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=blazersuit (actually, this is the most like my query, isn't it?)

Blazer Suit: Full-iGent, Half-iGent... Non-iGent?: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ght=blazersuit

From the Glen Plaid thread, here's another comparison:

Originally Posted by NOBD
2novflannelmoleskin.jpg

The whole thing:

wddhv2ekerstdag20091.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOBD's suit is close to perfection.

However I would still opt for a mid gray, perhaps something with a subtle pattern such as a nailhead, as a third suit. NOBD's feels more like a 4th or 5th suit (with a DB somewhere in that mix as well).

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your logic is OK, but I wouldn't wear the trousers with a grey sportscoat. The trousers would be fine with a traditional navy blazer, however.

NOBD's suit is so so so delicious. I've contacted Sid Mashburn to see about getting one myself.

Matt S

Reaction score
The third suit depends on what it will be used for. A grey plaid is great for a more relaxed suit. A navy pinstripe is a good choice if you're wearing the suit to work.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
NOBD's suit is close to perfection.

However I would still opt for a mid gray, perhaps something with a subtle pattern such as a nailhead, as a third suit. NOBD's feels more like a 4th or 5th suit (with a DB somewhere in that mix as well).

I have ready access to all kinds of nailheads at the moment. But can I still wear it as separates? I'm not sure if, for instance, grey nailhead trousers/solid navy blazer or solid charcoal trousers/grey nailhead jacket would work well.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
I have ready access to all kinds of nailheads at the moment. But can I still wear it as separates? I'm not sure if, for instance, grey nailhead trousers/solid navy blazer or solid charcoal trousers/grey nailhead jacket would work well.

Blue nailhead would work better than gray nailhead as separates, methinks.

Also - i really like the Austin Reed windowpane. You should just get that as a suit in general.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto

I don't think any nailhead will work as odd trousers or an odd jacket. Very few suits can work separately. Those few include solid flannel or serge, bolder checks, and almost any tweed.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't seem to find the link but Harry's website used to have a list of recomended order of the basic wardrobe (somewhere in the "Ask Harry" - http://www.harrymagazine.ca/en/ask_h...=/en/ask_harry)

I think a nice third is the mid-darker grey as you are thinking. I'd suggest something more like a subtle small pattern in the line of a herringbone or even a very subtle pinstripe. Windowpane's are ok IMO, but it's tricky.

PS - do you already have a navy pinstripe/chalkstripe?

Here are some ideas (ignore the label, just the pattern in general)
Claudio%20Morelli%20Brown%20Grey%20Windowpanes%20Suit%203.JPG

PICT8152.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics