• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Suit: RTW BlazerSuit? Please advise. Windowpane inside.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Also - i really like the Austin Reed windowpane. You should just get that as a suit in general.
It's really nice, and on target in terms of fabric. Cost is OK but a touch high, GBP350. Half canvassed. Problem is it's a 1-button peak lapel, I would need it to be a 2-button notch to fit in at work. I'm not senior.
Originally Posted by Matt S
I don't think any nailhead will work as odd trousers or an odd jacket. Very few suits can work separately. Those few include solid flannel or serge, bolder checks, and almost any tweed.
Good point - actually, I hadn't considered flannel. A solid flannel mid-grey would fill a hole and work separately. I found a great deal on solid mid-grey plain weave (GBP200, half-canvassed, Don Draper color) but didn't feel there was enough texture to work as separates.
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
grey as you are thinking. I'd suggest something more like a subtle small pattern in the line of a herringbone or even a very subtle pinstripe. Windowpane's are ok IMO, but it's tricky. PS - do you already have a navy pinstripe/chalkstripe?
I don't have pinstripe/chalkstripe (just solid navy and solid charcoal), but since I would like to split the jacket/trousers a pinstripe won't work. I'm hesitant to go herringbone in case it looks odd as separates. The fabric of my windowpane is critical - bold enough but not too bold, and a good mid-grey color. The pic posted earlier with the glen plaid / PoW was great, and I need something a bit darker and more toned down, but it shows the concept can work. I've found nothing 100% on target yet in real life. Patience!

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Here's a fabric sample from a London MTM firm, Cad & the Dandy (click to view attachment):

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
I'm hesitant to go herringbone in case it looks odd as separates.

I think it looks good in brown, but probably not for a third suit. Three versions (jeans, non-jeans, suit):

carusobruinevisgraatjea.jpg
totaalzondertrui.jpg
carusobruinevisgraatpak.jpg

Or a blue cotton herringbone for spring/summer. Again three versions:

carusoblauwekatoenjeans.jpg
04lichtetwillvoorkantme.jpg
voorfb.jpg

I'm thinking of a blue donegal tweed version for autumn/winter.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I think it looks good in ...
I'm thinking of a blue donegal tweed version for autumn/winter.

Thank you for posting, especially the last two posts which show the blue and brown suits as separates as well. In none of the pictures of the PoW/blue/brown does it look like an orphaned suit jacket, and they all clearly work well as suits.

I also doubt that brown tweed herringbone is a good suit choice for me at this point, but I think I will be on the lookout for a brown herringbone blazer.

In the meantime, I am considering waiting for the fall fabrics to come out and getting a RTW mid grey flannel solid suit, which I could then break up as separates too. With a navy blazer (existing), brown herringbone sport coat (to find), and mid grey flannel BlazerSuit I should be good to go.

cheers

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. I like solid mid grey flannel; also for separates (both jacket and trousers).

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I could see a grey windowpane having some use as an odd jacket. Still, for a third suit, I might branch out into three-piece or double-breasted if you don't have it. There's always the summer suit--seersucker barely dents the budget, and the jacket is endlessly adaptable.

Whatever you do, don't buy a seersucker. Unless you like the idea of people thinking that you're too stupid to know that you look terrible OR you actually are too stupid to know that you look terrible, seersuckers aren't for you. I'd suggest an oxford grey with either stripes or windowpanes or a navy stripe. There's no need to get fancy. After all, you only have 2 suits.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
Whatever you do, don't buy a seersucker. Unless you like the idea of people thinking that you're too stupid to know that you look terrible OR you actually are too stupid to know that you look terrible, seersuckers aren't for you. I'd suggest an oxford grey with either stripes or windowpanes or a navy stripe. There's no need to get fancy. After all, you only have 2 suits.

Per my post yesterday (above), I'm not going to go seersucker.

I'm not sure why you would think seersucker is "stupid"? It does not work for business in my part of the world, and I think better choices have been broached in this thread, but it's a fine choice for some people in some places. I find it easy to look down on the southern US for a lot of reasons, but seersucker isn't one of them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads