• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Annual Collection of Sartorial Excellence

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the seventh in an ongoing series of features and slide shows about the Collection of Sartorial Excellence artisans.

CEGO CUSTOM SHIRTMAKERS
Carl Goldberg, Prop.

For 25 years, Carl Goldberg, owner of CEGO Custom Shirtmakers, has offered New Yorkers the "best-value custom shirts possible" according to New York Magazine. Carl's shirts appear in leading Broadway productions including The Producers and Drowsy Chaperone; on network television shows and films; and in leading fashion houses.

Carl, known to AskAndy members as Shirtmaven, offers New York City's largest and finest selection of international shirting fabrics. Located in New York's famous Flatiron District, his shirting stock includes ever-popular whites (broadcloth and textured), hundreds of blues (from sky to navy), lavenders, and pinks; as well as stripes and checks in many varieties. Fabrics are sourced from the most trusted and renowned producers in Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and Japan, as well as luxurious domaine contrôlÃ
00a9.png
e
producers such as those of Sea Island.

Carl's roots in the clothing trade harken back to his family's Army & Navy store, a veritable Philadelphia institution. "In his younger days, my father could dress with the best of them", recalled Goldberg. "He is a Francophile. Suits from Smalto, shirts and ties from Lanvin, shoes from Lobb in Paris. Piaget watch. I loved his clothing.

Carl continued, "I was surrounded by clothing. In the 70's I would work on Saturdays in the store. We sold Levi's, Lee and Wrangler. Chambray and flannel shirts. And more zip front hooded sweatshirts then any other single store in the country!"

CegoAnimation01.gif

After moving to NYC in 1980 Carl began to gain his first experience in the tailored clothing industry. After a short time at (the original 7th Avenue & 17th Street) Barney's for several months, he moved up to running the special order department at Hertling Industries, a natural shoulder clothing factory that used to be in Greenpoint, Brooklyn before the hipsters took over. A subsequent move took him to Roger LaViale, a New York distibutor of suitings, where Goldberg spent his time selling fabric to custom tailors.

"At that time there were itinerant salesmen selling custom made suits and shirts", he remembers. "They would go from office to office with a tape measure and a case full of swatches. Though knowledgeable about cloth and capable of rudimentary measuring for custom suits, they were not tailors. I was intrigued. I realized it was an easy way to start a business without a lot of capital. So I left LaVialle and took the entrepreneural plunge for the first time. After a bit of trial and error, I finally realized that I didn't really like selling suits. Well, here it is almost 25 years later. I am still making shirts. I have a dedicated staff working to turn out well fitting shirts at fair prices. I have also made shirts for numerous television shows, movies and Broadway productions. I have made my share of puffy pirate shirts. I enjoy my work ... and I think my customers know that."

And, as noted by the Manhattan bible, New York Magazine, Goldberg remains New York's King of "the best-value custom shirts possible".

Copyright Â
00a9.png
2006 Alexander S. Kabbaz - Joelle M. Kelly. All rights reserved.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy

From the looks of the pictures it looks like a couple of dudes hanging out in a hotel room with a small amount of merchandise.

I'm not sure I understand how 400+ people were in attendance last year but the photos were taken in hotel rooms with merchandise spread out on beds and small tables.

I'm thinking about going just to take connie out back and kick his ass. Anyone want to save me the airfare??

MRR

King Salmon

Reaction score
I will pitch in $20 for your airfare, sir. Give him a good rapping upside the head for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrRogers
I'm not sure I understand how 400+ people were in attendance last year but the photos were taken in hotel rooms with merchandise spread out on beds and small tables.

I'm thinking about going just to take connie out back and kick his ass. Anyone want to save me the airfare??

MRR

Has your roid-rage really lasted this many years after you got off of the juice? Give the guy a break. He isn't hurting anybody.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the eighth in an ongoing series of features and slide shows about the Collection of Sartorial Excellence artisans.

DEMETER - Dimitri Onistsuk, Prop.
Handmade Bespoke Belts & Leather Goods

When Demeter was started in mid-2004, its owner, third-generation leather artisan Dimitri Onistsuk, knew he wanted to create the best leather goods in the world. Since then, the firm has developed into a respected atelier and works with international clients on orders for its leather goods, which range from belts and watch bracelets, to wallets and billfolds, as well as various special order leather products.

But the philosophy of Demeter and its artisans is greater than simply creating products to use or wear. A belt is still a belt, but with Demeter, every product made is infused with a passion, dedication and sincerity that makes it much more than simply a utilitarian good. With this commitment and devotion, Demeter seeks to preserve generations-old leathercrafting traditions and share them with its valued customers.

Although Demeter is beginning to develop its ready-made line of belts and wallets, the company's primary focus is on the traditional art of bespoke leather products. "I seek to create something very simple," says Dimitri Onistsuk. "Perfection." He adds, "as we progress, we create more and more complicated machinery and materials to help us along. We've created sextants and astrolabes and supercomputers, but there is always a beauty to a handcrafted product that was conceived in the heart as well as the mind, and brought about as a labor of love by someone truly dedicated to their art."

DemeterAnim.gif

For Demeter, this is the only way to go. The main requirement for its craftsmen is something simple yet elusive - passion for their work. "This is the only way to search for perfection," says Onistsuk. "Because no amount of skill will substitute a strong willpower and dedication to your work. Our skills are forged by three generations of leathercrafting tradition, but our strongest point is our passion - our search for perfection."

For Demeter's clients, the biggest pleasure comes from being able to take a part in this search.

Copyright Â
00a9.png
2007 Alexander S. Kabbaz - Joelle M. Kelly. All rights reserved.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MRR

Oh please do come. I'll be waiting with my baseball bat.
smile.gif

Art Vandelay

Reaction score

MRR

I pledge $50 but only after seeing pictures of his ass being kicked.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Has your roid-rage really lasted this many years after you got off of the juice? Give the guy a break. He isn't hurting anybody.

One privileged db giving props to another privilege db. Nice to see one helping his own kind.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
You could probably count on LARon as well.

devil.gif

Your bet your ass you can! I'll be arriving from Budapest, Vass bags in tow. When- and wherever there's a clothes party, count me in.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

By the way, who's the lucky stiff being fitted (in the photos from last year) for the windowpane 3-button peak lapel number? Gorgeous suit.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
By the way, who's the lucky stiff being fitted (in the photos from last year) for the windowpane 3-button peak lapel number? Gorgeous suit.
Mark Seitelman.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice....any others?

Mrr

Yeah put me down for $50,although I don't it will be very satisfying.I'm predicting one jab will put him on his ass.
boxing[1].gif
tounge.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
One privileged db giving props to another privilege db. Nice to see one helping his own kind.
Well, given the parallel situation (although Mr Rogers was not suspended at the time), I can only imagine which of his foul traits you share. BTW, how the hell do you know that I am a privleged douchebag like Conne?

MrRogers

Reaction score

Please. This kid cries that he has no money and then begs for airfare because he is to busy getting drunk and posting nonsense in the general forum to get a job and make 100$ to buy his own ticket. This makes him a punk. His hx of drunk driving is what makes him an asshole.

MrR

MrRogers

Reaction score
how the hell do you know that I am a privleged douchebag like Conne?

lol make up your mind will u!

MrR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads