• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Third Annual Collection of Sartorial Excellence

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Fok.
worship.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kasper
Thank you Soph, I have never intended on giving my opinions in a mean spirited way but maybe I should do some soul searching as reading what EL said has really shaken me up. I never expected that type of hostility here but it would be careless of me to assume that I wasn’t somehow responsible for it. If I have offended anyone on the forum I sincerely apologize. I guess that I have very particular opinions on conservative business dress and maybe I am not always aware of the manner in which I communicate them.

I understand, when I was in finance, one of the most conservative dress there is, wearing even french cuffs, DB suits, even pink shirts might be considered distracting; but irionically pinstripes even somewhat bold would be fine also.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*removed*

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Can you explain to me what the point of this event really is? Is it aimed primarily at the members of these "internet fora" or is it like a true trunk show?

From the looks of the pictures it looks like a couple of dudes hanging out in a hotel room with a small amount of merchandise.

Just a suggestion, but to those who are sponsering this event you might want to put up a few more pictures (if you are in fact aiming towards people on these MBs). I am not buying the whole. "We need the pics in a special format," thing. In fact I would say that sounds a little preposterous.

Anyways- I guess I am just saying for all the fan fare going on around here, I wish as a regular and long time reader I had a better idea of what this event actually will entail and why I should be interested in going.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
Can you explain to me what the point of this event really is? Is it aimed primarily at the members of these "internet fora" or is it like a true trunk show?
It is primarily the former. I would say the point of the event is two-fold: (1) To ask questions of the vendors and artisans, and (2) to meet other members of SF and AAAC. It is very informal, and you can spend as much or as little time there as you want. Last year, I combined my trip to CSE with a visit with my sister and window shopping at all the places the NYC residents brag about in the "Manhattan Sales Alert" thread. It was well worth the time and expense.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a trunk show. This year there will be sixteen different "brands" represented.
It is an educational event. This year there will be eleven makers present at the event to answer guests questions about the creation of garments and accessories. Additionally, a panel of experts convenes on Saturday to field questions from the audience. In conjunction with that, menswear industry notables including Bruce Boyer and others will be giving short presentations on various topics of interest.
It is a social event. Last year some 400 members of the online communities got to meet each other in person, share experiences, and make arrangements for continuing new friendships post-event.

From the looks of the pictures it looks like a couple of dudes hanging out in a hotel room with a small amount of merchandise. Just a suggestion, but to those who are sponsering this event you might want to put up a few more pictures (if you are in fact aiming towards people on these MBs). I am not buying the whole. "We need the pics in a special format," thing. In fact I would say that sounds a little preposterous.
I think you misconstrued what went before. The "special protected file format" photos is post-event having nothing to do with the event itself.
In fact, photos ("slide shows") of many of the things you will be able to see-touch-feel at the show begin posting on SF and AAAC later this week. Before the show date, you will have been able to get a concise preview of the who and what.

Anyways- I guess I am just saying for all the fan fare going on around here, I wish as a regular and long time reader I had a better idea of what this event actually will entail and why I should be interested in going.
Watch for continuous updates beginning shortly. I hope this answeres at least some of your concerns.

raley

Reaction score

From the looks of the pictures it looks like a couple of dudes hanging out in a hotel room with a small amount of merchandise.

Just a suggestion, but to those who are sponsering this event you might want to put up a few more pictures (if you are in fact aiming towards people on these MBs). I am not buying the whole. "We need the pics in a special format," thing. In fact I would say that sounds a little preposterous.

This is what I was trying to say, you put it much better.

Kasper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I understand, when I was in finance, one of the most conservative dress there is, wearing even french cuffs, DB suits, even pink shirts might be considered distracting; but irionically pinstripes even somewhat bold would be fine also.

I would like to tell you that I respect your level of professionalism. I have never worn a pinstripe suit myself but maybe I should be more open to the idea.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz

Watch for continuous updates beginning shortly. I hope this answeres at least some of your concerns.

Thank you. Very professional and informative reply.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the first in a series of between 10 and 16 artisan bio/slide show posts. How many we are able to post depends on available time and resources to create the slide shows.

Artistic Links

Artistic Links is the brainchild of Dr. Jerome Goldfischer. A practicing cardiologist for almost fifty years, Dr. Goldfischer trained during an era when physicians were expected to abide by a uniform of dress shirts and ties. By adhering to this dress code, over the years he amassed a large collection of cuff links and tie tacks to accompany his French cuffed shirts. However, few pieces of this collection were truly exciting to him or to others.

During the past 25 years Goldfischer developed an interest in antique Japanese porcelain buttons that portray two classic Japanese themes - The Seven Lucky Gods and Japanese Noh masks. These buttons, whose visual appeal and cultural history are unparalleled, soon became one of his most prized collections. A combination of the professional dress code and the desire to personalize his attire led his to fashion these beautiful, century-old Japanese buttons into cuff links and tie tacks to compliment his wardrobe. The idea immediately received praise and recognition from colleagues and associates. Artistic Links was born.

Artistic Links cuff links and tie tacks are created using the antique Japanese buttons, circa early 1900's, made of Satsuma or Arita porcelain.

The Seven Lucky Fortune Gods: These figures portray an eclectic group of deities from Asia known as Ebisu, Daikoukuten, Bishamonten, Benzaiten, Hotei, Jurojin, and Fukurukuju.

The Japanese Noh Masks: A form of ancient Japanese theater, Noh theater was characterized by the masks worn by protagonists. These highly stylized masks were worn to help the actor bring the character to life through his acting.

ArtLinksAnim01.gif

The creation of cufflinks, tie tacks, and stud sets using these buttons is meant to preserve the distinctive character and extraordinary quality of the original design. Since all buttons were individually hand-crafted, their sizes vary even if ever-so-slightly. Due to this variance, a mold is taken of each and every button to insure that each bezel is a perfect fit. In this way, not only is the button beautifully and securely held, but the button itself is completely preserved without alteration or injury. A variety of the 18k gold bezels has been created to further individualize these exclusive creations. The end result is a one-of-a-kind piece of art that is to be both worn and cherished.

Copyright Â
00a9.png
2007 Alexander S. Kabbaz - Joelle M. Kelly. All rights reserved.

darkoak

Reaction score
Very nice cufflinks! Will they be available for sale at the CSE? What's the price range?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
Very nice cufflinks! Will they be available for sale at the CSE? What's the price range?
They will be available. Some are already made into cufflinks. Others are still buttons for which you can select the bezels and/or stud-tie tack back styles. These would then have to be cast and the buttons inserted which takes a number of weeks. They are priced as if the bezels and backs were cast from 18kt gold (which they are) and as if the buttons were rare, century-old antiques (which they are). IIRC the range for links is from about $2500 up, but I could be wrong.

Also, Dr. Goldfischer has most generously donated one of his tie tacks as a prize for the Collection of Sartorial Excellence raffle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads