• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking You Look Good Makes You Look Better

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you look good, you will look even better. Anyone who watches shows such as What Not to Wear probably believes it. Often the subjects aren't physically attractive by objective standards, and sometimes they don't objectively look much better after being given some style; but they almost always (helped by editing, probably) rave about how much better they feel and some of them cite improved social confidence.

This post is intended to do more than state a truism, but to try to explain it. Clearly, feeling good can come from positive reactions, but they in turn are a response to something. To some extent, it's body language. Research - not done as much as it should be - shows that good posture, eye contact, smiling, etc. - are very important socially. Additionally, though it's probably beyond the realm of research, feeling "confident" about one's appearance can distract the mind from other thoughts and therefore avoid negative mental energy that can worsen one's facial expression. (That boost is more likely if one is not normally styled that way. Otherwise, there's not much reason to be excited.)

Yes, there are people who feel good and seem positive regardless of how they look. Yes, satisfaction with one's style probably won't really help when already engaged in conversation. But it's hard to argue that visual benefits from thinking you look good move things in the right direction.

Now is an opening for comments and especially any first-hand observations (for example, of others, of yourself on videotape) of the phenomena in action. Please
smile.gif

turboman808

Reaction score
Can't say I disagree. I am a strong believer in the transfer or energy. Anything you can do to repel negative energy and bring more positive energy your way I say go for it.

Sorry if that sounds to much like a hippy. LOL

I don't need to dress nice, I don't need sports cars or a nice home. They do however help to bring even more positive energy your way. Ice cream is good but ice cream with sprinkles and a cherry is better.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It makes you FEEL better. You may look like a fool or clown to others, but you feel good about yourself. This guy's outfit may not be SF approved. I bet he feels just as good as the SFs that post photos in the "what are you wearing right now" thread.

pimp.jpg

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
If you think you look good, you will look even better. Anyone who watches shows such as What Not to Wear probably believes it. Often the subjects aren't physically attractive by objective standards, and sometimes they don't objectively look much better after being given some style; but they almost always (helped by editing, probably) rave about how much better they feel and some of them cite improved social confidence.

This post is intended to do more than state a truism, but to try to explain it. Clearly, feeling good can come from positive reactions, but they in turn are a response to something. To some extent, it's body language. Research - not done as much as it should be - shows that good posture, eye contact, smiling, etc. - are very important socially. Additionally, though it's probably beyond the realm of research, feeling "confident" about one's appearance can distract the mind from other thoughts and therefore avoid negative mental energy that can worsen one's facial expression. (That boost is more likely if one is not normally styled that way. Otherwise, there's not much reason to be excited.)

Yes, there are people who feel good and seem positive regardless of how they look. Yes, satisfaction with one's style probably won't really help when already engaged in conversation. But it's hard to argue that visual benefits from thinking you look good move things in the right direction.

Now is an opening for comments and especially any first-hand observations (for example, of others, of yourself on videotape) of the phenomena in action. Please
smile.gif

+1

Absolutely!! I was speaking with one of my colleagues and he was asking about my clothes, shoes (wearing my C&J belgraves today
smile.gif
). I've pointed him to this forum but mentioned that his first step is to feel good about himself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads