• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of ditching my 328i for a car half the price...Recommendations???????

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a gorgeous 328i Coupe that I just can't fall in love with. Or maybe it's that I just don't love her enough to justify keeping so much money wrapped up in her. Point is, I've concluded that driving ma's '02 barebones Civic is just fine with me. In fact, in some ways I prefer riding around in a reliable beater than a slick German liability.

Anyway, assuming I can sell the vehicle for about $40,000 (I'm in Canada), what do you guys think I should look into as an alternative @ ~$20,000? I've got nothing specific in mind, and can do either used or new. I was thinking a used TSX or TL, or even an older Bimmer - like an e46? But there's so much out there I thought I'd ask around first...

Cheers, mates.

DesignerValet

Reaction score
I like the TSX- taut lines and a sporty but economical 4 banger. The TL is bloated IMO; my 70 y.o. neighbors love theirs.

Sticking with the Japanese makes when buying used makes more sense; any decent German car going for $20k will be extremely spendy to service.

dave

Reaction score
why not go whole hog on the mama route and get the civic? you could have a brand new one in your price range. or do like everyone else that doesnt care about cars and buy and accord.

really though, the Camry is the obvious choice. you can replace the "excitement" of owning a bimmer with the excitement of unanticipated acceleration!it's a win win trade for half the price.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
I've got a gorgeous 328i Coupe that I just can't fall in love with. Or maybe it's that I just don't love her enough to justify keeping so much money wrapped up in her. Point is, I've concluded that driving ma's '02 barebones Civic is just fine with me. In fact, in some ways I prefer riding around in a reliable beater than a slick German liability.

Anyway, assuming I can sell the vehicle for about $40,000 (I'm in Canada), what do you guys think I should look into as an alternative @ ~$20,000? I've got nothing specific in mind, and can do either used or new. I was thinking a used TSX or TL, or even an older Bimmer - like an e46? But there's so much out there I thought I'd ask around first...

Cheers, mates.

confused.gif
How old is this car? If you still think you can get $40K Canadian for this, I'd imagine it's got to still be under warranty, no? And it's not like new Bimmers are breaking down every 5 minutes... they're quite reliable.

Buying a used E46 is really going to be the liability.

Honda Fit, new, is in your price range and supposed to be a lot of fun to drive.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mazdaspeed 3

Economical, under the radar, but lots of fun!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you want something reliable, or fun to drive, or both, or what?

FWD? RWD? AWD?

Fast? Nimble?

Is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend ride?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My best friend just got a job and bought himself a GTI to celebrate. Hella nice car.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the styling is polarizing, but I love it...

Mazda 3.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your input, guys.

About my 328i: yes, the it's under full warranty for another 50,000km or until August 2012! About 31,500km on the odometer (what is that 20,000 miles?)

About what I'm looking for: basically a daily commuter (inner-city with 10% highway). Something reliable but fun to drive. Nimble is nice, as is relatively compact (I'm happy with the size of my current 3-series). A bit of power under the hood is also a plus, but certainly not a requirement. I don't care if it's AWD/FWD/RWD.

The trouble I'm having is this:

If I get $37,000 in hand for my bimmer (a "fair" market price), many appealing "downgrades" will cost me at least $20,000 plus a few thousand in tax. Most of these are used, and in some cases by many years (I'm surprised how well TSXs retain their value!). So at the end of the day, I'll have a lesser, older, potentially more service-hungry car, with less warranty and about $15,000 in my pocket.

The question is: is $15,000 worth it?

It seems the best way for me to make the best use of the situation is to either get a REAL entry-level vehicle (like a new or used Mazda3 or Civic), a downright beater for $10k or less, or simply be happy holding onto my car and making use of it...although, to be honest, I really don't want to!

/rant. My ears are still open.

turboman808

Reaction score
In fact, in some ways I prefer riding around in a reliable beater

I can understand that.

I really have been dreaming of getting an old 4x4 or maybe a subaru outback that I can mistreat and beat the hell out of.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, in some ways I prefer riding around in a reliable beater than a slick German liability.
I have a rental/company car all the time with full insurance primary to my own and no liability for any damages. It is great driving around in a car you just don't care about. Park between two double parked SUVs just for fun? Why not? Why not keep the reliable in full warranty and freely maintained 328 and pick up a real "beater"? Like an 80s M5/M6?
worship.gif
More money but the best of both worlds.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your input, guys. About my 328i: yes, the it's under full warranty for another 50,000km or until August 2012! About 31,500km on the odometer (what is that 20,000 miles?) About what I'm looking for: basically a daily commuter (inner-city with 10% highway). Something reliable but fun to drive. Nimble is nice, as is relatively compact (I'm happy with the size of my current 3-series). A bit of power under the hood is also a plus, but certainly not a requirement. I don't care if it's AWD/FWD/RWD. The trouble I'm having is this: If I get $37,000 in hand for my bimmer (a "fair" market price), many appealing "downgrades" will cost me at least $20,000 plus a few thousand in tax. Most of these are used, and in some cases by many years (I'm surprised how well TSXs retain their value!). So at the end of the day, I'll have a lesser, older, potentially more service-hungry car, with less warranty and about $15,000 in my pocket. The question is: is $15,000 worth it? It seems the best way for me to make the best use of the situation is to either get a REAL entry-level vehicle (like a new or used Mazda3 or Civic), a downright beater for $10k or less, or simply be happy holding onto my car and making use of it...although, to be honest, I really don't want to! /rant. My ears are still open.
Basically, you ask if you should take $15.000 free spending money and still not be inconvenienced in any meaningful way? Mmmh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads